Questions and Answers for Ocean Reef M100 Portable Surface Transceiver Unit:
Is this unit compatible with the Ocean Reef GSM Dual Channel Communication Unit Dual Channel
Darrick (Certified Scuba Instructor at Scuba.com)
Hello Mark, yes you can use this with the GSM unit.
why do you need Wireless communication through a 30 foot transducer cable if is wireless? would you need to put the cable in the water to be able to speak to the divers?
Bob (Certified Scuba Instructor at Scuba.com)
Wireless in terms for scuba communication means you are not hard wired directly to the diver at all times. The cable with the transducer stops, but the diver can keep on diving beyond the limiting length of the transducer, wirelessly.
M100 G-DIVERS transceiver portable surface unit
1. Technical characteristics
Main parts of the unit are:
Battery housing: inside the battery housing there is a label with the serial number and the polarity to insert the battery. Battery should be a 9volt alkaline one, rechargeable batteries will last shorter. The autonomy with the alkaline battery (receiving mode) is around 30 hours with 30 minutes of low battery alarm (one “beep” every 30 seconds)starting when voltage goes below 6.8volt.
Antenna: It consist of a 10 meter cable directly connected to the main unit, at the bottom end there is the ceramic antenna, made to transmit and receive ultrasound to a frequency of 32.768 kHz. PTT button: it is a magnetic one, positioned right below the headset connector on the main unit
Headset and microphone assembly with adjustable volume. Metal clip to attach the unit to the belt of the operator.
8 Pin plug to connect the headset with microphone.G.divers Communications unit manual rel.1.3 September 2010 17
2. Attaching the surface unit to the belt The M100 G.divers is designed to comfortable and easy to use. The main unit can be clipped to a belt or jacket, giving the operator an increased range of motion from other surface units.
3. Checking before use Once the battery has been installed and you have checked that the cap and cover have been closed properly, insert the headset with microphone in the plug on the main unit, the M100 G.divers will turn on automatically. You will hear a “beep” indicating activation.
Run a finger along the black cylinder at the bottom side of the antenna. You will hear a “zzzzzz” type sound coming from the speaker. Try to bring the antenna transducer near the antenna on a M101A G.divers unit, or the antenna on a GSM G-Divers unit (about 5 cm / 2 inches). You should also be able to hear the communication when the unit is not immersed in water. If you hear a repeated “beep” (about every 30 seconds) this means that the battery is running low. Change it.
4. Basic Instructions for communicate with divers underwater
The following is the recommended operating procedure: Ensure the battery is properly installed with the correct polarity. Close the battery compartment. You can use some grease to make this operation easier. Attach the main unit to a secure place on your person such as a belt. Lower the transducer into the water. If you are on a boat, lower the transducer until it clears the hull. Under non circumstances should the transducer lie on the sea floor, this will reduce the signal strength and range. Connect the headset to the main unit, the unit turns on automatically upon connection. The unit is now in the receiving mode. To send a message push and hold the PTT button located on the main unit. After a short “beep” you may begin speaking. When you release the button, the unit will return to receive mode. To improve the communication quality set the antenna the near as possible to diver’s depth. It is important that the transducer does not lay on the bottom When speaking to divers, keep in mind that they have a lot of things going on while underwater. It is better to have divers attention before starting the communication. Talk slowly and clearly Do not make long sentences. A good exercise is to make them repeat what they understood.
CAUTION: Do not get the headset wet Do not put the unit underwater, it will not function as an underwater unit Do not attempt to keep the PTT button permanently depressed! You will not be able to receive messages from the divers and you may damage the unit.
1. OCEAN REEF communication units are guaranteed to be free of material or manufacturing defects for a period of 24 months from the time the unit is purchased. For the duration of the guarantee, the Company’s responsibility is limited to replacement of any parts that are defective in our opinion, and that have not been used incorrectly or handled negligently. The unit must be returned to the outlet from which it was bought, along with the warranty card. The cost of transport is to be prepaid by the customer. 2. Even during the guarantee period, this guarantee shall not be valid where: o Damage was caused by incorrect handling or carelessness. o Damage was caused by the unit falling after it was purchased. o Damage caused by fire, earthquake, floods, lightning, or other natural disasters, pollution or electrical charges. o The warranty card is not produced. o Our name, the date of purchase, and the seller’s name do not appear on the warranty card.