You have no items in your shopping cart.
Dive Rite Sidewinder Primary Reels
Product OverviewNorth Florida cave diver, Woody Jasper, first invented sidewinder-style reels around 1980. Less likely to entangle than other reels on the market, Woody's original reel was made of aluminum and a PVC spool. The side-handle style of the reel lent itself to exploration because it could easily switch from hand to hand while laying out line. Twenty years later, sidewinder-style reels were popularized in the technical diving community when DIR enthusiasts began using them for paying out line in deep caves at high speed on a Dive Propulsion Vehicle (DPV).
Dive Rite's Sidewinder Series of Reels are designed to be anti-jam by using precision machine tolerances between the frame and the spool making it nearly impossible for the line to slip between the spool and the handle. The Sidewinder Cave Primary Reel with 400' (122m) of 220 lbs (99.80kg) breakage strength and Dive Rite's Wreck Primary Reel with 250' (76.2m) of durable DuPont fiber braided #36-line which has 350 lbs (158.76kg) of breakage strength both with extra-large stainless-steel bolt snap. Both reels have an injected molded polycarbonate spool which is breakage and crack resistant, they come with a stainless-steel axle and high-quality machined CNC aircraft grade aluminum frame which are corrosion resistant. A knurled lockdown screw has a low profile to prevent snagging and is easy-to-use even with gloved hands. Reels weigh 1.37 lbs (620g) and is proudly made in the U.S.A.
- Inspired by Woody Jaspers Original Design
- Side-Handle Style Allows Ease Switching from Hand-to-Hand
- Anti-Jam Design: Precision Machine Tolerances Between Frame & Spool
- Nearly Impossible for Line to Slip Between Spool & Handle
- X-Large Stainless-Steel Bolt Snap
- Molded Polycarbonate Spool w/Knurled Lockdown Screw
- Stainless Steel Axle
- Frame: High Quality CNC Machined Aircraft Grade Aluminum
- Knurled Lockdown Screw: Low Profile to Prevent Snagging
- Corrosion Resistant
- Resistant to Breakage & Cracking
- DIR Enthusiasts:
Use for Paying-Out Line In-Deep-Caves at High Speed
On-Diver Propulsion Vehicles (DPV)
- Cave Primary Reel:
- 400' (122m) Durable DuPont Fiber Braided #24-Line
- Line Breakage Strength of 220 lbs (99.80kg)
- Wreck Primary Reel:
- 250' (76.2m) of Durable DuPont Fiber Braided #36-Line
- Line Breakage Strength of 350 lbs (158.76kg)
Best Price Guarantee
We guarantee that you’ll pay the lowest price for the products we sell. Here’s how it works, find any identical item priced lower on any website, and we will beat that price by an additional 5%. If you have seen a better price for this item on another website. Please fill out and submit the form below:
Terms & Conditions
- We can not accept lower price links from eBay or other auction shops. Prices on such websites are often not fixed, and might sell at a higher price than what’s listed now. Also it is not always clear whether the product is new, second hand or refurbished.
- The product has to be exactly the same as the one sold by Scuba, including: brand, model, size, color, etc.
- The product must be in stock at both Scuba’s and at the other seller at time of request.
- We will beat the price seen at the other website, only if the Total including Shipping/Handling and other charges is lower then ours.
- We only match prices on regularly advertised prices—not on coupons, club memberships, first-time buyer offers, or any other exclusive offer.
- Offer not valid on past purchases.
- The online merchant offering the lower price must be an established US retailer, as determined by Scuba
- The base price of the items must be a difference of at least $5.00 Excludes Aqua Lung & Apeks.
- Some other restrictions might apply.
What's in the Box
|Purpose||Primary Dive Reel for Cave/Wreck Diving|
|Line Material||Dupont Fiber Braided|
|Line Diameter||Cave Primary: 073 (1.86mm) #24
Wreck Explorer: .083 (2.11mm) #36
|Line Length||Cave Primary: 400' (122m)
Wreck Primary: 250' (76.2m)
|Line Tensile Strength||#24 Line: 220 lbs (99.80kg)
#36 Line: 350 lbs (158.76kg)
|Reel Materials||Spools: Polycarbonate
Axles: Stainless Steel
Frames: CNC Aircraft Grade Aluminum