[quote=BobG]The SDI class isn't a normal recognised class by most standards, although is a good class and introduction.[/quote]

Quite wrong. SDI's course is certainly a valid certification.

[quote=BobG]But, regardless of what everybody said here, there are still more industry accepted reasons to use the buddy system than not.[/quote]

Actually, not true. It used to be but not any more. There are many more reasons to be able to dive self-sufficiently than to depend on a mostly fictional buddy.

[quote=BobG] ...where another diver had fishing line (twice) or Kelp (once) wrapped in a manor around them that they could neither reach nor swim free of. And even though gear R&R is a skill taught by training agencies, far and away the vast majority of divers of ALL levels are neither comfortable nor competent at it in the open water.[/quote]

The SDI course covers this. If they got tangled they were careless. If they couldn't free themselves they were not properly equipped. Moreover, if they are not comfortable nor competent they shouldn't even consider diving solo.

[quote=BobG]Then of course there is the experience and enjoyment of it. If you find that ALL the other divers in the world are a burden and just tend to get into your way, then quite possibly I'd say the issue lies with the constant to that equation. [/quote]

The issue is that I'm selfish enough to want to dive without encumbering myself. It's an expensive sport, both in the cost of equipment and in travel. Why should I detract from my enjoyment by following an outdated recommendation when I have all the equipment and skills necessary to dive solo.