Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#995 - 06/06/01 04:11 PM Wrist or Console?
TexasMike Offline
veteran

I'd like to here from our merry band of contributors on where they prefer to have their computer & compass located....your wrist or in a console? (SPG's are excluded from this since they usually require to be mounted on a hose)

Be sure to elaborate why you like your preference and what advantages or disadvantes it has over the other.

#996 - 06/06/01 04:17 PM Re: Wrist or Console?
TexasMike Offline
veteran

To kick this off, I will answer my own question.

Currently, I have everything in a console (the style where the computer and compass are one one side, and the SPG on the other). I am still on the fence if I prefer a console or not. I can see wrist mounting having advantages with my diving style, but haven't tried it yet (thus the question).

The console is convenient since everything is "right there". But I'm still finding the right placement on my BC so they will be within my slipstream and in a good place so I can grab it when I need to look at it. So far, each dive has had it at a different spot and I'm still not totally happy.

So if you use a console and want to elaborate with good spots to "hang" it, please do.

I can see the pro's of wrist placement right off. Essentially getting dive data as simple as looking at your watch.

Anyone else like to add anything?

--Michael

#997 - 06/06/01 08:36 PM Re: Wrist or Console?
daver Offline
veteran

Loc: Overland Park, KS USA
I like the console to the wrist cause its easier to have everything there, and navigation is easier with the compass on a console rather than having your wrist moving all over the place.

#998 - 06/07/01 08:33 AM Re: Wrist or Console?
SGHOWE Offline
veteran

Loc: Ashton, Maryland, USA
Hey There,
In my opinion wrist mounting instrumentation is by far the best way to go. First of all you ALWAYS know where your arms are! Therefore you are never fumbling trying to find your instrumentation. With the small size of most modern dive computers and other instrumentation there is not really any concern with them being too bulky for wrist wear or uncomfortable. Secondly a console that is poorly attached to the bcd, which by the way the vast majority of ones i see are, will have a tendancy to drag along the bottom. In certain environments this can cause silting up and drastically cut down on visibility. It can also destroy or damage delicate coral and other life forms on reefs, which is obviously a horrible thing to do. If you ever do any wreck diving the clunky console also becomes an entanglement liability. These factors alone in my mind make wrist mounting the most sensible option. As far as where i attach my SPG it is clipped on to the left hip d-ring on my harness. I reccommend attaching it securely using a bolt snap as opposed to using any sort of device that would allow it to come loose. Retractors may seem like a good idea but i avoid them because in general they hang down a good few inches. sometimes as much as a foot or so off the bcd when all the necessary attachment hardware is installed. this still lets them drag along the bottom in some circumstances and still allows for possible destruction of coral and silting up of the bottom. Besides they are bloody expensive (about $40 for lots that ive seen) and when a $5 bolt snap works better, why not! Hope this was helpful.
Take Care,
Sean

#999 - 06/07/01 11:55 AM Re: Wrist or Console?
TexasMike Offline
veteran

I can personally agree with your comments on the retractor (which I have) adding to the problem as well as "losing" the console (I can't immediately put my hand on it during the dive and have to "hunt" for it) and watching other's consoles drag a silty bottom.

You said something about a bolt clip....are you speaking of the brass clip that looks like those you use on a dog leash? Has a spring loaded opening with a swivel?

#1000 - 06/08/01 12:52 AM Re: Wrist or Console?
Hyperjoe Offline
veteran

Loc: Mayfield Hts
I have a console. I wouldn't want it any other way. The problem with a wrist unit is that it's more prone to bumps, scratches and most of them have small text and fonts. I keep my console wraped from left to the right D-ring lapel of my BC(high), thus its right under my nose, and all I have to do is look down. This has worked for me. If I want to pull it down all I have to do is pull it.(its latched with a retractable layarnd) This I find much more easy than pulling the console UP from my waist.
I also believe that there's an added degree of integrity when gauges are wrapped in 1/2" rubber, such as a console.

Its like the old back seats of Caddys(leather)!

Now only if they could come up with a HUD system! (Heads Up Display in the mask)

Cheers
-hyper

[This message has been edited by Hyperjoe (edited 06-07-2001).]

#1001 - 06/07/01 01:24 PM Re: Wrist or Console?
SGHOWE Offline
veteran

Loc: Ashton, Maryland, USA
Mike,
The bolt snap that I am talking about is just like the variety that you find on dog leashes although I prefer the stainless steel variety for diving uses. I disagree strongly with hyper although he of course is entitled to his own opinions. Where I find fault with his argument is that in my experience my wrist units have been LESS prone to scratching and bumping because i have more control over where they are and I personally prefer to keep my arms out of areas that are going to be rough enough to break a dive computer. Secondly the comment about wrist units having smaller font is erroneous. To begin with the vast majority of wrist units are also available in consoles. In fact the only exceptions to this that I am aware of are air integrated computers with hoses. The only difference between most wrist mounted and console mounted computers is how they are mounted, not anything to do with the computer itsself, therefore that argument is not really a valid one. Also There is no added security in a console as most wrist boots are made of the same material as consoles and would provide the same amount of protection from bumps, although I personally like to avoid hitting anything that hard As far as prefering consoles to wrist units that is purely a matter of personal preference. Actually Cochran was working on a HUD mask to work with their computers for a few years. Im not sure if they are still pursuing this idea but from what I have heard it was plagued by problems and the prototype units were rather bulky, perhaps when technology improves this could become a viable option, but the attempts at it that I have seen so far have been pretty sad.
Take Care all,
Sean

#1002 - 06/07/01 11:16 PM Re: Wrist or Console?
jmsdiver Offline
veteran

Loc: USA
Interesting question. I see that it has generated some interesting comments. So let me add my opinion to the stack.

My compass is on my dresser. I have rarely used it, and so there it sits. The places I dive I can use natural navigation to find my way "home." (And, no I'm not a fair weather diver: my last dive was a brisk 43 degrees F.)

I have an SPG attatched to a D-ring on my BCD by a brass snap. My dive computer sits wrist mount. I do this because I know what my breathing rate is and how long my air will last in given situation. I don't need to check the air supply as often as I need to check my depth, NDL, and so forth. I'm coming to the conclusion that I need to switch which wrist I put the computer on because of how the drysuit dumps on ascents (I can't watch my ascent rate and dump at the same time).

I find that consoles are great place to put instrumentation, much like your dash board. However, they get in the way and get caught on things during certain diving situations. I've gotten comfortable with this setup and it works well. I have ditched my consoles altogether.

Cheers!

#1003 - 06/08/01 12:48 AM Re: Wrist or Console?
TexasMike Offline
veteran

quote:
Originally posted by Hyperjoe:
Now only if they could come up with a HUD system! (Heads Up Display in the mask)

I too thought of a HUD. And while I was at my monthly Scubadillo meeting, a representative from Cochran Dive systems (makers of the Cochran dive computers) said that they are working on it. And we should see something in about 2 years or less.

#1004 - 06/08/01 12:55 AM Re: Wrist or Console?
TexasMike Offline
veteran

I happend to visit my LDS (local dive shop) this evening to inquire if a class I want to take is going to start soon and asked them their opinion on this question. As expected, their answers came down to personal preference and a lively discussion as we are having here .

And what I got most out of this was having one of the rental wrist boots tossed at me and being told to report back to them to settle their (and my) argument.

So I plan on diving at my local swimmin' hole (Athens Scuba Park) this weekend and will give the wrist mount a shot. I report my results upon my return.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BillL, BobG, Clarke, Mel, Reggie