Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#8 - 07/21/00 09:07 PM drysuit bouyancy
loscoches Offline
just got here

Loc: CA
Ihave a USIA drysuit. Is the farmer john underwear with the jacket too much float???I need fourty pounds to get down and have a tough time staying at 15-20 feet on the way up. What gives? the underwear is USIA issue.

#9 - 07/26/00 09:27 PM Re: drysuit bouyancy
sdiver Offline
just got here

Loc: Sioux City, Iowa, USA
It would depend if you were talking about fresh or saltwater diving and how much you weigh. In my experience I have to wear 36 to 42 pounds in fresh water and I weigh 205. I am on a local dive rescue team and all of the team members will wear the 42 pounds to make sure that we stay on the bottom when we are doing a rescue. Some of the team members have said that they have a hard time in the 15-20 foot range like you are talking about but we found that if they used some older underwear that problem seems to go away. So you might try adding a pair of ankle weights and as the underwear gets older you might try removing some of the weight. Sorry that I canít help out any more but I donít think that is too much weight unless you are having a hard time with the drysuit not giving you enough lift when you are wearing the 40 pounds.

Moderator:  BillL, BobG, Clarke, Mel, Reggie