Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#855 - 05/29/01 11:46 AM Octopus Question
shawneli Offline
avid diver

Loc: Metairie, LA USA
I just got a new octopus. Is it natural that it doesnt breath as easily as my main regulator when not in water?

#856 - 05/29/01 05:41 PM Re: Octopus Question
harold Offline
avid diver

MAYBE ?
are they the same brand / model ?
tell us more

#857 - 05/30/01 10:55 AM Re: Octopus Question
TexasMike Offline
veteran

Like Harold says, it can depend on the brand and model.

I happened to be discussing Octo's with the Training director at the shop that I patronize and he made a good point. It is in your best interest safety wise to ensure that the secondary air source (your octo) is up to the same performance standards as your main regulator. And even better is to have the same second stage as an octo that you have as your primary.

If you think about it, this makes sense. If your dive profile includes considerations beyond recreational limits (deeper than 60 feet on standard air), you want to make sure that your octo can handle the same demands as the primary.

Therefore, I'm making the case that when making your gear purchases, DON'T SKIMP ON YOUR OCTO. Consider getting the same second stage as your primary.

--TexasMike

#858 - 05/31/01 12:04 AM Re: Octopus Question
shawneli Offline
avid diver

Loc: Metairie, LA USA
Yes, same brand and model only yellow!

Mares Axis MR12

#859 - 05/30/01 03:50 PM Re: Octopus Question
TexasMike Offline
veteran

How well does it breath in the water? (which is more important than on the surface).

#860 - 05/30/01 05:10 PM Re: Octopus Question
SandyBuchan Offline
avid diver

Loc: Brunei
I noticed the same thing with the diving club's gear I have been using - when testing the octopus, I noticed that it felt a bit rough, and made a buzzing noise when breathed. It's the same make as the primary but not as high quality I think.

#861 - 05/30/01 05:44 PM Re: Octopus Question
harold Offline
avid diver

ok guys / girls

important point - most regs will buzz / vibrate / sound & feel funny at the surface - this isn't the environment in which they are designed to operate - the best regs in the world (poseidon & apeks IMHO) sound like / operate like cr*p at the surface, but the minute you are under - WOW !!!

occys (built by the same companies) are built to the same standards as primary regs - they may have fewer knobs and buttons, but the internals (the important bits) are just as good (or bad) as the primary's

as previously stated - DO NOT SKIMP ON OCCY'S (as the thread starter hasn't)

safe diving

#862 - 05/30/01 08:02 PM Re: Octopus Question
Mac8 Offline
veteran

In general most octopuses do not breath as well as a primary on purpose. As was stated earlier you will notice a difference in performance underwater, however the octo is set to breath slightly harder for a reason. 99% of your time your octo hangs at your side and doesnt do much. If it is set to breath as easy as possible there is a greater likelyhood of it beginning to freeflow as you dive. Rather than waste air, the octo is set to be slightly harder breathing than your primary to keep this from happening. It wont breath as well as your primary but then again you wont be tooling around the reef breathing on it, if you need to use it, it's time to abort your dive.

#863 - 05/30/01 10:52 PM Re: Octopus Question
harold Offline
avid diver

hhmmmm...i'm a bit concerned - are you really saying that the only time you use your occy is when there's an incident ? - so it could have been up to 11 months since last used (assuming you service it annually) ? - excluding that obligatory 2 breaths immediately before plunging into the depths - I have to confess that this non-use would flash through my mind as I reached for the little yellow friend in time of need

if it interests anyone, I regularly (every other dive) switch to my occy mid-dive and finish the dive on it - then I know it's going to be there for me (or another) when I need it - am I alone ? or just super-careful ?

#864 - 05/31/01 07:01 AM Re: Octopus Question
TexasMike Offline
veteran

quote:
Originally posted by harold:
if it interests anyone, I regularly (every other dive) switch to my occy mid-dive and finish the dive on it - then I know it's going to be there for me (or another) when I need it - am I alone ? or just super-careful ?

Actually, this sounds like a pretty good idea to swtich to the octo during a controlled period like a safety stop.

I'm going to my dive club meeting where I will see several of the local dive guru's. I think I might ask them about your idea.

--TM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BillL, BobG, Clarke, Mel, Reggie