Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#8177 - 12/27/11 12:50 PM Astigmatism & Diving
astigdiver Offline
just got here

I am hoping to get certified to dive in a couple weeks. Problem is that I wear glasses and have astigmatism.

One option is to get contacts, however I'm worried about losing them while clearing masks underwater. Another is to get prescription mask w/ astigmatism adjustment, but that is double the price of the contact exam & lenses. Last option is to use lenses with no astigmatism correction.

My prescription is -5 -2 x5 and -4.25 -2 x162. Is it possible to wear a lens not corrected for astigmatism and see well enough to not get headaches and be able to function?

#19254 - 01/18/12 05:26 PM Re: Astigmatism & Diving [Re: astigdiver]
BobG Offline
veteran

Loc: Irvine, CA
The only way to correct for that would be either the use of contact, in which case you have to be VERY careful to keep them clean and change them after each day's diving or by getting custom ground lenses. These would be lenses ground by somebody local to you who can see the mask lenses and do their own lens grind.

Moderator:  BobG, Mel, Reggie