Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#8140 - 11/09/11 07:10 AM What would you recommend Atomic B2 or Oceanic 4.2?
JasonS Offline
just got here

Hello! I live in California and dive the Monterey Bay and along the Northern Coast, so typically diving in 7mm in cold water usually. But do go to Thailand, Australia, Mexico and other warm places from time to time. I am looking for a versatile Primary Reg that would be a good balance between cold and water. I like both the B2 and 4.2 Delta but wanted to ask the more experienced what there thoughts were.

Thanks for your time!

#8144 - 11/14/11 07:51 AM Re: What would you recommend Atomic B2 or Oceanic 4.2? [Re: JasonS]
markm Offline
just got here

Hello Jason S,

I prefer the Oceanic 4.2. I don't have experience with any Atomic product, but I do own two Oceanic regulators and other gear including a dive computer. My wife owns an Oceanic dive computer.

We have used our Oceanic gear in California in 42F water and in the tropics in water as warm as 85F. My wife has an expensive ScubaPro regulator that does breath easier than my CDX5; however, she always dives with the second stage set to "pre-dive" as she does not think it breaths hard in "pre-dive" mode.

We both owned Mares regulators previously. They both developed intermediate pressure problems and were being continually rebuilt. We junked them--we don't even use them on pony bottles.

I use the least expensive (and simplest) Oceanic regulator on my pony bottle. When I practice pony bottle ascents or pony bottle function tests (sometimes as deep as 110'), the Oceanic reg always works.

Bottom line, I like Oceanic for its value, its functionality, and parts availability.

They work for me.

markm

#8151 - 11/23/11 12:02 PM Re: What would you recommend Atomic B2 or Oceanic 4.2? [Re: markm]
BobG Offline
veteran

Loc: Irvine, CA
When it boils right down to it BOTH are high performing, top end regulators. You can't go wrong with either one. Both companies honor very good warranties and have fantastic customer service.

One tip towards the Atomic B2 is that it has won more awards than any other regulator in scuba.

Either way your choices are ones that will give you many years of dependable service! Enjoy!

Moderator:  BillL, BobG, Clarke, Mel, Reggie