Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#7770 - 11/06/09 01:02 PM Career Options for Commercial Diving
J88Mah Offline
just got here

Hello,

My brother is considering starting a career in commercial diving. He has his advanced Open Water Certificate already but will probably be looking to take a full certification course within the next year. Are there any schools in Canada which you would reccomend?

What options does he have as a commercial diver? What different directions would you reccomend for a 21 year old just starting out? Is a life long career possible?

How long do commercial divers typically work for? I've heard an average of 3-4years and then they get out and work a different angle of the industry like be an ROV technician, off-shore supervisor, or work for a company that hires the divers.

Besides the obvious, what are some of the lesser known dangers in this industry? What is the fatality rate?

Thankyou

#7771 - 11/07/09 05:02 PM Re: Career Options for Commercial Diving [Re: J88Mah]
BobG Offline
veteran

Loc: Irvine, CA
The field of commercial diving can offer a great deal of possibilities to an individual. Commercial divers can find a niche for themselves doing underwater welding, non-destructive testing, photography, and even medical based jobs depending upon the direction the person is interested in exploring.

My advice to anybody interested in the field of commercial diving is to contact one of the better known commercial diving schools and talk to a counselor there. I myself spent a couple days at the Ocean Corp in Houston Texas before deciding that a career as a Scuba Instructor was more along my interest level. A few of the schools you could talk to would be the Ocean Corp, Divers Institute of Technology in Seattle or The College of Oceaneering here in Southern California. They are far better prepared to give you all the information you are seeking. Good luck!

Moderator:  BobG, Mel