Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#7738 - 06/21/09 09:08 AM How to avoid fin blisters?
kmacdee Offline
just got here

Loc: Iowa
I'm headed to Cozumel in July, and to prepare got in the pool a few weeks ago for a refresher with all my gear. After only two hours in the pool, my fins gave me a nasty blister on my left ankle. I have the open foot fin style, so I don't wear boots with them. Anyone have suggestions on how to avoid a week of blister pain when I get to Cozumel?

I've thought of water-proof band-aids, although worried the fin will just rub it off right away. Also thought about wrapping my ankle with medial tape. Are there lightweight socks out there that would do the trick?

#7739 - 06/21/09 10:08 AM Re: How to avoid fin blisters? [Re: kmacdee]
BillL Offline
veteran

Loc: So. California, USA
Adjustable strap fins requires you to use some kind of boot to make the fin fit properly. I sugggest getting at least a 2mm sock to protect your feet. This should also make the fin more comfortable to wear. Take a look at
http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-112/001129/XS-Scuba-2mm-Low-Top-Titanium-Socks.html

or if you want something that can be used as a water shoe also,

http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-112/003932/Mares-2mm-Low-Top-Medium-Sole-Equator-Boots.html

#8087 - 07/30/11 09:03 AM Re: How to avoid fin blisters? [Re: BillL]
scubablue Offline
just got here

After 750+ salt water dives, my thin skinned feet would still suffer from fin blisters. I have used about every type of fin equipment to mitigate the blister problem including a variety of boots, socks, fin types, gels, plastic bags inside the foot pockets and even taping my feet with water proof medical strips. After taking careful precautions to rinse my foot gear immediately before each dive, I discovered the problem lies with the salt rather than sand grains. I finally resolved the problem by wrapping the areas normally prone to blisters with duct tape. It is a pain in the posterior to remove the duct tape but is a small price to pay versus painful blisters that can ruin a dive.

#8088 - 07/30/11 04:44 PM Re: How to avoid fin blisters? [Re: scubablue]
BobG Offline
veteran

Loc: Irvine, CA
There you go! Another angle to the problem with a potential solution! Thanks!!!!

Moderator:  BillL, BobG, Clarke, Mel, Reggie