Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#7646 - 04/25/09 01:01 PM Atrial Fibrillation -to Dive or not to Dive ?
mistersharkbait Offline
just got here

Hey all- trying to get some feedback. 2 years ago I was diagnosed with Lone Atrial Fibrillation. To make a long story short- I had a radiofrenquentcy pulmonary vein ablation back in June of 08. I have been symptom free for 6 months. My cardio guy has had me drop one med. Ive been trying to read other divers experiences with A-fib on other sites and medical opinions. I have no structural heart problems and have also had multiple treadmill stress test that were all fine as well as echogram and CT scans.
I am a Divemaster and have been out of the water now for 12 years but strongly want to start diving again. Any thoughts or opionions out there? Should I start or should I forget about it? I havent asked my cardio guy ( he probably is not a diver )as I'm sure he he wont recommend it-LOL

#7647 - 04/25/09 02:30 PM Re: Atrial Fibrillation -to Dive or not to Dive ? [Re: mistersharkbait]
BobG Online

Loc: Irvine, CA
I think the first place I'd look if I had a medical questions related to diving would be the the experts. DAN has a medical FAQ page at that addresses many issues. If you can't find it there I'd contact them directly. There are no more informed experts in our sport than the folks there!

#8106 - 08/29/11 12:43 PM Re: Atrial Fibrillation -to Dive or not to Dive ? [Re: mistersharkbait]
enproep Offline
just got here

I see your post is a couple of years old now, but wondering if you received the input/answer you were looking for. I too have lone a-fib and have had rf abalation to correct it. I have been mostly symptom free for a year and a half now. I also want to get back into diving but can't seem to get a straight answer from my doctor. Are you diving again? What advise and or direction have your doctor's givin you?

Moderator:  BobG, Mel