Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#7646 - 04/25/09 01:01 PM Atrial Fibrillation -to Dive or not to Dive ?
mistersharkbait Offline
just got here

Hey all- trying to get some feedback. 2 years ago I was diagnosed with Lone Atrial Fibrillation. To make a long story short- I had a radiofrenquentcy pulmonary vein ablation back in June of 08. I have been symptom free for 6 months. My cardio guy has had me drop one med. Ive been trying to read other divers experiences with A-fib on other sites and medical opinions. I have no structural heart problems and have also had multiple treadmill stress test that were all fine as well as echogram and CT scans.
I am a Divemaster and have been out of the water now for 12 years but strongly want to start diving again. Any thoughts or opionions out there? Should I start or should I forget about it? I havent asked my cardio guy ( he probably is not a diver )as I'm sure he he wont recommend it-LOL

#7647 - 04/25/09 02:30 PM Re: Atrial Fibrillation -to Dive or not to Dive ? [Re: mistersharkbait]
BobG Offline
veteran

Loc: Irvine, CA
I think the first place I'd look if I had a medical questions related to diving would be the the experts. DAN has a medical FAQ page at http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/Default.aspx that addresses many issues. If you can't find it there I'd contact them directly. There are no more informed experts in our sport than the folks there!

#8106 - 08/29/11 12:43 PM Re: Atrial Fibrillation -to Dive or not to Dive ? [Re: mistersharkbait]
enproep Offline
just got here

Hello:
I see your post is a couple of years old now, but wondering if you received the input/answer you were looking for. I too have lone a-fib and have had rf abalation to correct it. I have been mostly symptom free for a year and a half now. I also want to get back into diving but can't seem to get a straight answer from my doctor. Are you diving again? What advise and or direction have your doctor's givin you?
Thanks!

Moderator:  BobG, Mel