Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#7639 - 04/18/09 07:31 PM Dive Centers
DiverBrent Offline
just got here

Hey all,

I'm trying to find reviews on dive centers. I just moved to Santa Cruz California. I'm looking for helpful, professional staff that organize trips as well as a shop with fair prices on gear. Thanks for the help and info

Oh, any opinions on these wetsuits: Yazbeck, Picasso 7mm ghost termic, Beuchat Mundial Camo. Looking to dive in Monterey soon. My price range in <400.00

Brent

#7640 - 04/20/09 10:22 AM Re: Dive Centers [Re: DiverBrent]
BillL Offline
veteran

Loc: So. California, USA
The PADI and NAUI websites have shop locators and usually you can get the regional reps contact info for suggestions on a dive shop to meet your needs. As for gear www.scuba.com I would check out the Henderson H2 suits.

#7641 - 04/21/09 11:22 AM Re: Dive Centers [Re: BillL]
JamesNG Offline
avid diver

Loc: Virginia
Brent,

As far as wet suit goes, I agree with Bill greatly. After reading up from several sources and their review, I bought a 5mm Henderson H2 wetsuit. From the moment I put it on, I did not want to take it off. It was that comfortable.

#7642 - 04/21/09 11:36 AM Re: Dive Centers [Re: JamesNG]
scubastace Offline
new diver

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Totally agree on the Henderson - I have one and adore it. Although, for that area you need a farmer john with hood and all that. Mine is a 7/5ml which won't let you survive those waters.

The best dive shop in the area I think is down in Monterey - Monterey Bay Dive Company - http://www.mbdcscuba.com/ its great for excursions and is right across from the beach for shore dives. That wall is great with the kelp.

A little farther inland and up, in San Carlos, is Wallins dive shop - http://www.wallins.com. They may be better for your gear to buy. They also arrange lots of trips and such, although they don't have a boat/water presence. That said, one of the best training facilities in the area. (they do have a pool). They are SSI and NAUI mostly though - I used to be a lone PADI freelance instructor there, and they may have more now - no idea. Their shop was great though. Definitely check it out for gear.

Good luck!
-Stacey

#7643 - 04/24/09 09:08 AM Re: Dive Centers [Re: scubastace]
BobG Offline
veteran

Loc: Irvine, CA
And, of course, don't forget that thare is no place better for your gear then Scuba.com. :) Can't resist the shameless plug there, seeing as it is our board and all. Happy Diving!!!

#7644 - 04/29/09 07:51 AM Re: Dive Centers [Re: BobG]
JamesNG Offline
avid diver

Loc: Virginia
[quote]And, of course, don't forget that thare is no place better for your gear then Scuba.com. :) Can't resist the shameless plug there, seeing as it is our board and all. Happy Diving!!! [/quote]

There's no shame in squeezing in a bit of advertisement. Like you said, it is your board and all. LOL

#8121 - 09/24/11 02:32 PM Re: Dive Centers [Re: JamesNG]
BobG Offline
veteran

Loc: Irvine, CA
LOL Thanks James! ;o)

Moderator:  BillL, BobG, Clarke, Mel, Reggie