Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#7512 - 08/08/08 08:58 PM Diving Career
DevilShark Offline
just got here

Loc: PA
I am just getting back into diving after being out of it for 10 years do to no dive buddy. I would like to know if there is a good career in diving before I start up again. The reason I ask is my wife will not let me get back into it unless I can have a career in it. Not to mention this is a very expensive sport. And my prestent job doesn't pay well. Any suggestions ?

#7513 - 08/13/08 05:00 PM Re: Diving Career [Re: DevilShark]
BobG Offline
veteran

Loc: Irvine, CA
Expensive? I guess you have to put it into perspective. I have as much money tied up in my golf clubs or skis as I do my scuba equipment. And I have pretty nice scuba equipment. But that in mind, none of those are inexpensive endevours. As far as a career in the sport, it is possible, but often can be tough. It all depends upon the route you want to go. Being a scuba instructor can be a great 2nd job. It's fun and rewarding and gives the chance to meet new friends.

As a full-time job, most dive shops around the world don't pay very well for shop help. It can be quite difficult to make it on just that pay alone. Combined with money earned from classes in a busy shop, though, it's more than possible.

Moderator:  BobG, Mel