Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#7498 - 07/22/08 01:37 AM River Diving
sinkingcoyote Offline
avid diver

I never hear any body talk about river diving are there special certs for this. is there a reason nobody talks about it? Just thinkin out loud.

#7499 - 07/22/08 02:54 PM Re: River Diving [Re: sinkingcoyote]
brads213 Offline
just got here

No special certs I am aware of.

I would think in general, rivers can have strong current, low visibility, and may not be very deep, not so great diving conditions compared to lakes and oceans. That doesn't mean there is no reason to dive a river with good conditions, but in general, you would find better diving in a lake or ocean.

#7500 - 07/23/08 11:36 AM Re: River Diving [Re: brads213]
BobG Offline
veteran

Loc: Irvine, CA
That I'm aware of I've never seen a specific certification by any agency for River Diving. I have to admit, having done it quite a few times myself, it might be a viable class to develop and certainly one I'd recommend to people prior to hopping into a river. There are many issues that are similar to several classes combined. Moving water often FAR faster than the simple Drift Diver class could prepare you for. Underwater obstacles that would seem very interesting on a calm water dive can become incredibly dangerous traps. Freeing yourself after getting your hand or foot or even a piece of gear snagged under something and having to fight a current at the same time can be challenging at best. Add to that fishing gear. It is simply amazing how a piece of line that you can break with your hands is impossible to snap underwater, or that a lure that you can remove from a lot or between some rocks with your finger tips can be an anchor when pulled the wrong way. The clearest looking water from above can be dark and murky once you try to look through it from beneath with all the particles of sand, silt and debris flowing downstream.

I've had some very fun and memorable dives in rivers, but be very wary of trying this kind of a dive without the proper experience and preperation.

#7501 - 07/30/08 08:35 AM Re: River Diving [Re: BobG]
sinkingcoyote Offline
avid diver

Thanks for the input. I ask because there are alot of rivers around my home area. But i need plenty of experiance first.

Moderator:  BobG, Mel