Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#7415 - 03/04/08 02:11 PM objective opinion wanted
virg357 Offline
just got here

after being a lifeguard for 4 yrs and a swim instructor for 4 i finnally decide 15 yrs later to pick up scuba--- my problem is i find that where i live (chicago) resources are few and very one sided (their service and instruction is best) - my question is when looking for a instructor/ service what should i expect -i.e. books, materials, training dives. ets... and what should all of this cost- all of the places near me seem to vary widely and im curious as to why?

thanks

#7416 - 03/04/08 02:57 PM Re: objective opinion wanted [Re: virg357]
BobG Offline
veteran

Loc: Irvine, CA
That is actually a tough question. Any dive shop or instructor can name their own prices and set up classes in any manor they choose so long as they are teaching the things that the training agencies dictate. Over the years I've seen classes offered "all inclusive" meaning books, rental gear, pool time and open water dives all included in the price of the class. I've also seen classes offered with all those portions seperate.

The #1 thing I commonly advise people to do is visit the instructors and retailers for your area. Talk to the instructor that is going to teach your class. Get a feel for how you interact together. Ask what is and is not included in the class and be specific about things such as make up classes, if you need extra attention, openwater dives from the beach or boat or both? Get a feel for the instructor and keep in mind if you are NOT comfortable with the interaction there in the classroom or store its not going to get better once you reach the pool or ocean.

Moderator:  BobG, Mel