Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#7320 - 09/12/07 08:20 AM Oceanic Zeta Regulator
Hopper Offline
just got here

I have been looking at Oceanic Zeta Regulator. I know that it has been discontinued by Oceanic. Does anyone have an opinion about this reg or why it was discontinued?

#7321 - 09/12/07 04:42 PM Re: Oceanic Zeta Regulator [Re: Hopper]
BrianO Offline
veteran

Loc: Irvine
Seems like a lot of manufacturers are slimming down on the number of items in a particular category. May not have sold enough to keep the line going, or possibly the performance parameters changed too much when coupled with the new first stages. Many items go away and then return for a while. The best thing to do when you're considering an item is to get your hands on one while you can.

#7322 - 01/18/08 07:38 PM Re: Oceanic Zeta Regulator [Re: BrianO]
Larry_M Offline
just got here

Hey Hopper I am a new diver and I bought a Zeta right before they were discontinued. The big plus is it's a real easy breather. It is also lightweight and very comfortable. The downside is it's very touchy when you take it out and go to your snorkel it likes to blow air and take off on you. With a little practice you learn to get around it. My only real worry is that it's pretty intolerant of debris and you have to be carefull getting in and out of the water on shore dives. Hope this helps.........Larry

#7323 - 01/19/08 04:52 PM Re: Oceanic Zeta Regulator [Re: Larry_M]
BobG Offline
veteran

Loc: Irvine, CA

The Zeta was a marriage of two different designs of second stage into one. It had the benefits of the Pilot Valve regulator stuffed into a traditional style case. It turned out to be a very finicky piece of equipment that breaths like a charm when it works as intended and will drive your service technician to call out all sorts of less-than-nice words when it doesn't.

Moderator:  BillL, BobG, Clarke, Mel, Reggie