Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#7209 - 06/04/07 01:43 PM Diving Oahu - Certification/Dive Shops
Lynne Offline
just got here

Loc: Upstate New York
I'll be traveling to Oahu July 29-August 6 and I'll hopefully be experiencing my first "real dives" after being certified in Dutch Springs, PA (Brrrr).

I'd love to get some recommendations for good dive shops on Oahu (preferably the Kailua/Honolulu area) - especially ones that might possibly have an Advanced Open Water certification class going on during that time that I might be able to get into (I figure, why not certify in Hawaii instead of the freezing St. Lawrence River in Canada!)

What gear do you all normally lug with you when you travel? I only have the fins, mask and snorkel right now - but knowing me, I'll probably end up buying a BC, wetsuit and tanks.

What kind of wetsuit is warm enough for Hawaii? Can I go with a 5mm? I haven't purchased one yet, but I didn't think I'd need to go with a 7/5 - and 5 is much cheaper obviously.

#7210 - 06/04/07 06:10 PM Re: Diving Oahu - Certification/Dive Shops [Re: Lynne]
BrianO Offline
veteran

Loc: Irvine
Sounds like a blast!!

One of the best ways to get recommendations for operations and destinations is www.padi.com or www.naui.com

Looking forward to the recommendations out there.

#7211 - 02/28/08 08:50 AM Re: Diving Oahu - Certification/Dive Shops [Re: BrianO]
esprocks Offline
avid diver

There are a few dive shops right along the main strip on waikiki. You can also call your hotel and the concierge should be able to give you info. There are some great dives just of the waikiki beach, right in front of the Halekoa Hotel.
As far as gear, I have always thought the most important piece of equipment to own and take with you is the regulator. There is too much at stake to use a rental in my opinion. That was the first thing I bought, so if it doesn't work at 80 feet deep, it's my fault. But if you maintain it well, you can have no worries about it working. Also, a BC is a good thing to own because then you are comfortable with the set up and feel of it and you don't have to adjust to a rental every time you dive.
Check out some great regulators at a site I found, http://www.scubaregs.com.
Have a blast on vacation. I love Oahu and it is spectacular diving. And almost forgot, the water is pretty much consistently 80 degrees so a 5mm suit will rok perfectly.

#7212 - 03/01/08 07:27 AM Re: Diving Oahu - Certification/Dive Shops [Re: esprocks]
kiemo Offline
just got here

Try Capt. Bruce....they dive the entire island depending on weather and offer certifications. They pick you up at your hotel too. I was impressed with their safety and knowledge of the island dive sites and I have been there many times.

#7213 - 04/04/08 04:22 AM Re: Diving Oahu - Certification/Dive Shops [Re: kiemo]
maswov Offline
new diver

Loc: Okinawa
I have never dove Hawaii but i spent a couple years diving Guam. I imagine the water temp is similar. I just wore a T-shirt to keep the BC from chaffing.

#7214 - 06/15/08 07:53 AM Re: Diving Oahu - Certification/Dive Shops [Re: maswov]
flounder Offline
just got here

Loc: ny
My wife was certified in Oahu with AAA Divers, which is right in the Waikiki area. When you get to your hotel room they have activity magazines with the attractions of the island. In these mags you'll find adverts for every dive operation on the island. Just call the one you like and set up a pick up right outside your hotel lobby the next morning. I thought the diving in oahu was fantastic, endless amounts of turtles, schools of spotted rays are often seen gliding past the numerous amounts of great wrecks. There is just a great assortment of different dives and locations to experience, in the ten days i was there I logged sixteen dives and loved everyone of them. I envy you, enjoy paradise and be ready to spend plenty of money it is not a cheap vacation.

#7215 - 12/24/08 08:56 AM Re: Diving Oahu - Certification/Dive Shops [Re: flounder]
rquasar Offline
avid diver

Loc: AZ
I dove Maui Sept 9-16th. I wore shorts & a tee shirt. Water was 80+, if you wear anything don't go over a 2 mil @ most.

#7740 - 06/23/09 11:41 AM Re: Diving Oahu - Certification/Dive Shops [Re: rquasar]
neanders Offline
new diver

Lynne,

My son and I just returned from Oahu, and I would HIGHLY recommend Aaron's Dive Shop in downtown Kailua. We dove 3 days (6 dives) with them, and they were fantastic. Reasonably priced, good rental gear, and very friendly and helpful D/M's and Captain. It will be very flat all around the island this time of year, so you'll probably dive the wrecks on the south side of the island. We did a night dive with them on what's call the "Baby Barge", and it was the best. Turtles, rays, a white-tip reef shark, and we caught it all on camera/vid. We both brought only mask/fins/snorkel and 2mil shorties. Very comfortable diving both morning and night. My son just finished his certification, and they were very helpful and patient with him, and took him places to see the things he wanted to see. All in all, a class outfit. And they'll pick you up at any hotel in Waikiki. I'm already planning my return trip! Have fun!!

#8008 - 02/28/11 07:27 PM Re: Diving Oahu - Certification/Dive Shops [Re: Lynne]
henrykipson Offline
new diver

Hello...I am looking for dive shop...I am looking for certified dive shop.please help me.

[url=http://www.liquidlatexonline.com/]dive shops[/url]

#8009 - 02/28/11 07:32 PM Re: Diving Oahu - Certification/Dive Shops [Re: Lynne]
henrykipson Offline
new diver

There are a few dive shops right along the main strip on waikiki and offer certifications.Thanks for sharing this thread with us.

[url=http://www.liquidlatexonline.com/]dive shops[/url]

Moderator:  BillL, BobG, Clarke, Mel, Reggie