Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7036 - 11/28/02 07:27 PM bungies on back bladders
Greg Scubaholic Offline
veteran

Loc: PNW
I'm new here, maybe you've had this discussion before. Why do put bungies on some of the backmount bc bladders?

Greg

#7037 - 11/29/02 08:18 PM Re: bungies on back bladders
Mako Offline
veteran

Loc: Honolulu
Aloha Greg,
The bungies are to help with deflation, they should be adjusted according to manufactors recommendations, you should be able to fully orally inflate the bladder in case of emergency. There have been a few deaths due to improperly adjusted bungies.
Mako

#7038 - 12/01/02 06:24 PM Re: bungies on back bladders
Greg Scubaholic Offline
veteran

Loc: PNW
I would think water pressure alone would be enough to deflate the BC. Also adding more "strings" to your backpack would make it more suseptible to entanglement in wreck or cave diving.

Greg

#7039 - 12/02/02 06:07 PM Re: bungies on back bladders
BillL Offline
veteran

Loc: So. California, USA
I've hear good and bad things about bungies on the air cells. Whichever you choose, make sure you are completely familiar with the operation and then do some training with it in confined water before diving it.

#7040 - 12/06/02 03:17 PM Re: bungies on back bladders
BadFish Offline
veteran

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Dont get the bungied wings, First off pressure alone will deflat the wing. Second they DO NOT aid in trim, infact it creates more drag.
Third, the the most important, the bungies make it harder to orally inflat your BC.
Plus a small rupture of the wing and its over with w bungie, the bungie force the wing to stay
deflated.

Dont waste your money. go with a BP and Wing without the bungie and dont let anyone sell you on it ether.

Email me if you'd like a more in depth detail.

#7041 - 12/11/02 02:42 AM Re: bungies on back bladders
bpadivers Offline
veteran

Loc: Roswell, NM
I agree 100%, bungee presents problems.

I have had my Halcyon rig for 9 months and I love it!!! Its like wearing nothing at all once you get used to it.

#7042 - 01/27/03 10:35 AM Re: bungies on back bladders
DiveVawreks Offline
veteran

Loc: Virginia
Badfish was right. Everything he said is the reasons we dont use them.

#7043 - 02/05/03 11:09 AM Re: bungies on back bladders
farm diver Offline
new diver

It is a crazy thought to dump all of your air faster then the system is designed. You should never be in a situation that you would have to. Even if a dry suit valve where to free flow that would be the only reason to dump all your air that fast. And that never or very rarley happens and dumping your bcd air is not going to help all that much anyhow.

#7044 - 02/06/03 06:16 PM Re: bungies on back bladders
BillL Offline
veteran

Loc: So. California, USA
Luckily, you can get air cells with or without retraction straps.

#7045 - 03/06/03 12:58 AM Re: bungies on back bladders
tradewinds Offline
avid diver

Loc: USA
The orginal reason wing bungies were designed was to allow fast deflation in restricted/overhead environments (cave diving). The secondary BC was and is the dry suite for dives of this nature; thus, no need for oral inflation. Bungied wings were never intended for recreational diving, without dry suites.

Having said that, while I have US Diver rigs for recreational diving (Wings without bungy), I often prefer my Dive-Rite tech rigs with bungy for those dives as well. I disagree with the arugment that bungy compressed wings do not improve streamlining. I have discovered that in dives of long distance, especially against mild currents, there is a reasonable reduction in resistance with bungy compressed wings. When diving bungy wings without dry suite, I use dual-bladder wings (built in back-up) with dual inflation hoses, so the "manual" fill is not an issue. However, the additional hose adds one more aspect of complexity and can potentially reduce streamlining if not well stowed. I do agree that trying to manually inflate bungied wings is a challenge..so I avoid it.

Net-Net: Bungy wings are for trained and prepared technical divers. What they offer in streamlining (unless dual-bladder, dual inflator) to a recreational diver without dry suite, they take away in risk.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BillL, BobG, Clarke, Mel