Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7019 - 08/04/02 10:10 PM Halcyon Weight Integration
SgtAJ Offline
just got here

Loc: Tampa, Florida
I am looking into buying the 27# Pioneer wings with the SS backplate. My question is how do the weight pouches attach to the harness? I've looked at a bunch of pictures, but none of them were real clear.
Thanks,
A.J.

#7020 - 08/05/02 02:04 PM Re: Halcyon Weight Integration
Rebecca Offline
veteran

It has a specific area of attachment on the cummerbund. The pockets have loops on the back that the webbed belt slides through (kind of like belt loops)

#7021 - 08/07/02 01:30 PM Re: Halcyon Weight Integration
scuba1066 Offline
veteran

Loc: Oneida, NY
Rebecca,
Doesn't that blow GUE/DIR's 'streamlined' motto though?

I mean, ocne you add these pockets - you pretty much are into a BC jacket-like config.

?

PS If I order a PONY, to ship 3-day, does the valve have to be removed to ship it?

#7022 - 08/15/02 09:49 AM Re: Halcyon Weight Integration
BillL Offline
veteran

Loc: So. California, USA
Halcyon seems to be a supporter of the DIR. I would think the configurations of their equipment would allow you to meet their recommendation. The MC's 5-point Secure Harness removes the weight from the waist, helping to prevent lower back stress and shifting the center of gravity to the center torso. This helps obtain a streamline horizontal profile in the water.

#7023 - 09/02/02 08:59 PM Re: Halcyon Weight Integration
BadFish Offline
veteran

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Scuba1066 go back to sleep please and raise your hand next time you want to anwser.

The weight system or ABS made by Halcyon is a two part system.

1- is the pocket that attaches to the SS Back Plate and the belt slips thru the pocket to keep them from hanging down your side.

2- The weight pouch, which is then inserted into the pocket and uses a combination of zelco and buckle to keep the weight secure. The advantage to this system is that you CAN NOT loose your weight on accident, is more stream line, and more comfortable. And you it is with in the GUE/DIR Standards and infact most of the design was thought up by members of GUE/DIR.....

#7024 - 09/03/02 10:37 AM Re: Halcyon Weight Integration
BillL Offline
veteran

For those of you that are diving the Halcyon system, how do you like it?

#7025 - 09/03/02 03:34 PM Re: Halcyon Weight Integration
BadFish Offline
veteran

I wouldn't dive anything else, I love the setup and the freedom of the Halcyon. The simple design of the one peice webbing and the lack of all that padding makes it very stream lined and easy to move thru the water
with proper trim.

Without a doubt, i'd rather stay dry then dive anything else.

#7026 - 09/10/02 06:19 PM Re: Halcyon Weight Integration
BillL Offline
veteran

Is there a particular setup or system that you would recommend to a recreational diver wanting to use a Halcyon system.

#7027 - 09/11/02 03:23 PM Re: Halcyon Weight Integration
BadFish Offline
veteran

Ok, to start, i am a recreational diver myself so i'll give you the setup i use.

First, i use the Stainless Steel backplate, because it is about 6lbs neg, that allows you to drop some weight off your belt(ABS System). Halcyon has an Alum backplate but it cost just the same and you dont get the weight benefit.

Then i bought the 36# wing, i went with that becasue it was the biggest they had for the single tank setup. the 27# is teh next one down but it cost teh same.

The Harness came with the backplate and is teh standard harness that comes with Halcyon. It does have a wide crouch strap which is nice cause it doesn't ride up.. [Roll Eyes]

Now the weight system, the weight system comes in two flavors, 10lbs and 15 lbs. That means 10 on each side or 15 on each side. Of course you can fill it with as much as you need up to 10 or 15 ibs. the bags attach to the lower end of the backplate and have a slot for the webbing harness to slide thru. The weight bags sldie into the pouch and have a release buckle that snaps closed.
this makes the bag impossable to lose and easy to drop. Note, the 15lbs is setup to allow the attachment of a Can Light (HID) very cool option.

Now, of coruse i dive DIR so i also have a hose config that is differnet then the standards of most cert agencies. But that wasn't your question so i wont preach about the benefits of DIR.
However if you are interested, ask away or email me.

Good Luck and stay wet

#7028 - 09/12/02 08:55 AM Re: Halcyon Weight Integration
BillL Offline
veteran

Is Halcyon's gear the only set-up that meets DIR?

#7029 - 09/12/02 01:51 PM Re: Halcyon Weight Integration
BadFish Offline
veteran

Yes, at least at this time.

#7030 - 10/09/02 01:17 PM Re: Halcyon Weight Integration
bottomrunner Offline
veteran

Loc: kingston,ontario,canada
in a dry suit, what happends when i have to take my back plate and harness off at 90 feet?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BobG, Mel