Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#6902 - 02/17/03 09:40 AM Apollo Bio Filter........
Another New Diver Offline
just got here

Loc: New Jersey
Anyone ever use the Apollo Bio Filter or have any reviews of it?

It's that inline filter that, with a few drops of water in it, adds humidity to the air you breathe.

It seems that it would really work good, but I don't see that it's that popular.

Any reviews or opinions of it?

#6903 - 02/17/03 10:19 AM Re: Apollo Bio Filter........
Smetz Offline
avid diver

Loc: Clearwater, FL
Not all that popular because many of the decent regs out today provide moisture at the second stage for a more comfortable dive. If you have a older reg or one that doesn't include that feature you may want to try that device or upgrade your reg. Does your throat get real dry after a dive? I know when I rented gear I got a dry throat, but not anymore. I currently dive with Zeagle but I'm sure the moderators could give you some advice on a reg. featured on this site that provides that feature. I'm not familiar with the Apollo Bio Filter but my first question would be how does your regulator manufacturer feel about this, was it designed with added moisture in mind. Remember your regulator is a very important piece of equipment. I would tend to upgrade my reg rather than bolt something on to it.

#6904 - 02/17/03 05:51 PM Re: Apollo Bio Filter........
BillL Offline
veteran

Loc: So. California, USA
The Apollo is a filter and wick system rather than a moisture retention system. These are typically a plate in the second stage that retains condensation that gives you get a splash of moisture every so often. Some of our instructors swear by the Apollo. The repair dept has seen no ill effects when servicing regs with the Apollo System added to the first stage.

#6905 - 02/19/03 09:56 AM Re: Apollo Bio Filter........
born2dive Offline
veteran

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Smetz, what Zeagle reg are you diving with? I dive with the 50D but have also used the Flathead VI and the DS-IV, all of which were great regs. But I have not noticed any moisture in the air. I guess I need to pay more attention.

#6906 - 02/20/03 09:29 AM Re: Apollo Bio Filter........
Mel Offline
veteran

Loc: Irvine, CA USA
There is no other moisture delivery system available on teh market like the apollo bio filter. It is like breathing air that is 50-80% humid. The other regulators are glorified spit recyclers. I have dove with this sytem for eight years and it is the main reason I dont rent regulators because I hate suffering from the discomfort and I am not willing to accept any risk with dehydrating my lung tissue during a dive. You can add this system to most any regulator that you already own. Also, there is a carbon filter so impurities are removed from the air as you breathe it, too. I have been on dives before where others complain of bad air and then they try my regulator and they can't notice a problem. I highly recommend this product for anyone seeking a cheap way to get a more safe and comfortable dive.

#6907 - 02/24/03 11:37 AM Re: Apollo Bio Filter........
Smetz Offline
avid diver

Loc: Clearwater, FL
Born2dive - All the Zeagle Reg's have the feature. The question you should ask yourself is does my throat feel chapped or raw from breathing dry air. If your throat feels normal it's working. To answer your question I dive with a 50D and the moisture provided isn't noticeable the lack of a dry throat is.

Mel - good point about the carbon filter. I heard of people experiencing bad air fills. That alone may interest me. Of course some of the divers out there are smoking 1/2 a pack of cigarettes on the boat on the way out to a dive. I don't think they are too concerned with air purity or lung damage.

#6908 - 01/09/08 03:27 PM Re: Apollo Bio Filter........ [Re: Smetz]
Shrwdtech Offline
new diver

Smetz,
You have to remember from your training though that regardless of what they are breathing into thier lungs at the surface, impurities in your air during a dive are magnified by the pressure the diver is experiencing. A small amount of something in the air you are breathing right now at your computer might not bother you but in 66 feet of water could actually make you very ill if not kill you! The carbon filter will remove many of those impurities. And while this is not a common occurance today, I have first hand knowledge of a diver using the Bio Filter being the only diver on a Live Aboard not to ge sick when the boat's compressor was suddenly found to be putting out bad air.

Edited by BobG (01/19/08 05:08 PM)

#6909 - 01/19/08 04:53 PM Re: Apollo Bio Filter........ [Re: Shrwdtech]
BobG Offline
veteran

Loc: Irvine, CA
Well put Shrwdtech and exactly correct!

Moderator:  BillL, BobG, Clarke, Mel