Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#6825 - 07/20/01 06:13 PM mask with curve glass
frog man Offline
veteran

Loc: cancun mx.
Does exist a mask with curve tempered glass to have as wider vision field as posibble?

#6826 - 08/03/01 12:56 AM Re: mask with curve glass
Rebecca Offline
veteran

I saw a mask at a dive show once that was like big bug eyes. I know something like that exists but I don't believe it is being sold.

#6827 - 08/06/01 10:27 PM Re: mask with curve glass
TexasMike Offline
veteran

Cressi makes a mask called "Big Eyes" that provides a improved field of vision over the basic mask.

Also, check out what some manufacturers call a "4 pane" mask, where the mask has side windows to improve your peripheral vision.

Can you provide more info as to what you want to gain?

#6828 - 08/09/01 01:38 AM Re: mask with curve glass
jmsdiver Offline
veteran

Loc: USA
Look into the Cressi Sub Big Eyes mask. It was presented at the last DEMA show and it was a hot topic of discussions there. It gives a wide angle and one is able to see their entire front.

#6829 - 08/10/01 04:25 PM Re: mask with curve glass
frog man Offline
veteran

Loc: cancun mx.
I want to gain vision field, to find a dive buddy much faster, for exemple every body knows how easy a dive buddy may disappear in a second when he-she is above and behind of us and we are moving the head to search through "mask tunnel vision" . I got recent info about with curve glass underwater occurs a grat distortion of objets, so i have to forget it. Any body have tried "big eyes" from Cressi. It worth it?? I think thereīs a better performance to looking below, but to the sides?? meybe is the same.Pherhaps the best idea is the mares mask with 6 windows, 2 in front 2 both sides and 2 below, but we could not say this is a low volume mask.Theres isnīt the "perfect mask" i am afraid.

#6830 - 08/11/01 03:42 AM Re: mask with curve glass
Manta Offline
avid diver

180 degree vision masks do exist, however the ones that i have come across do not have glass lenses.

Browsing on the net, i found the Seal from Aqualung.

Another is the Sphere from Technisub. I tried this one on at a dive shop. Awesome view. Very slight distortion, though. The shop owner told me that the distortion is too much for some people. The best part was the fit. Beats the Cressi Big Eyes hands down when it comes to panoramic vision.

[This message has been edited by Manta (edited 08-11-2001).]

#6831 - 08/22/01 02:25 PM Re: mask with curve glass
rebelrph Offline
avid diver

Loc: Calhoun City, MS
I just bought a "big eyes" mask and have made 4 dives with it. I didn't notice a big difference for my old Ocean Master mask with the side panels. however, the big eyes is a nice mask.

Moderator:  BobG, Mel