Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#6805 - 06/21/01 02:29 PM Masks with Heads-Up Display
Erickling Offline
new diver

Loc: Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
Im a new diver and was thinking during training that having a mask with a display that contained my gague information would be a great invention. Anyone working on that one?
Eric

#6806 - 06/21/01 08:49 PM Re: Masks with Heads-Up Display
TexasMike Offline
veteran

At a local dive club meeting, the representative from Cochran Dive computers stated that one is under development for the military, and will be available to the public shortly after that.

But if you think about it, the price might be a bit out of reach for most sport divers. Currently hoseless computers start in the $700-800's. So if you add what is necessary for a HUD, that mask may be be even more.

#6807 - 06/21/01 11:44 PM Re: Masks with Heads-Up Display
jmsdiver Offline
veteran

Loc: USA
Cochoran has been saying that since the first hoseless came out about 5 years ago. We're still waiting for them to deliver...

#6808 - 06/22/01 07:17 PM Re: Masks with Heads-Up Display
monsieur_Net Offline
veteran

Loc: Montreal/Québec/Canada
this might be a great invention, but where the batteries will be stored? in the back of the head? in the front? IN the mask? :-)

#6809 - 06/22/01 11:09 PM Re: Masks with Heads-Up Display
TexasMike Offline
veteran

If you think about it, batteries for most dive computers are not that large...something along the line of a watch or camera battery and weigh about the same as a medium size coin. So placing the battery somewhere around the mask is not that difficult.

#6810 - 06/23/01 07:48 AM Re: Masks with Heads-Up Display
monsieur_Net Offline
veteran

Loc: Montreal/Québec/Canada
I've never seen computer's batteries, but it's not a good idea of putting them IN the mask... What happen if the mask gets full of ocean water? The batteries whould have to be isolated or they will leak...

(hum...acid in the eyes...sounds great!)

#6811 - 06/23/01 10:28 PM Re: Masks with Heads-Up Display
TexasMike Offline
veteran

Once again, I'll use your dive computer as my reference point.

The battery for your dive computer is about the size of the button on your shirt, and not that much heavier. And simce most of these are sealed already, leakage of the chemicals is minimal.

The compartment will be appropriately sealed with an O-ring. And placement would be on the outside of your mask, say on the outer "rim". So even if you were to flood your mask (by accident or design), it would be unlikely that any battery contents would get into your eyes.

Moderator:  BobG, Mel