Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#719 - 10/28/01 06:48 AM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
rstone Offline
veteran

Loc: Jacksonville, FL USA
In defense of dive shops and for that fact online retailers.. there is no way in hell you can as the sales person TRY everything the place sells.. to try out 1000 different items would take forever. Sometimes your only option is to repeat what you know.. been told.. heard... or experienced with use.

#720 - 10/29/01 03:09 PM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
Rebecca Offline
veteran

I have been working with Divers Discount for close to 10 years. There is not much in this store I have not tried out. For the items I couldn't possibly dive with (like the Genesis Recon which fits about 20 times too big for me) I talk to and watch the other instructors who use them and find out what they like and dont like about each item.
I think people shouldn't stereotype online dive stores. Divers Discount has retail locations and the retail locations have the same prices and services as the online store.

#721 - 10/29/01 03:38 PM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
Northeastwrecks Offline
veteran

Loc: Longmeadow, MA, USA
Dear Rebecca:

I absolutely did NOT mean to stereotype DDS. In fact, I have been exceptionally pleased with the store. I merely meant to say that there are times when I want to try on the product without the bother of shipping it cross country or when I want it immediately, as in 20 minutes before I leave for a dive. In those circumstances, I will buy at the LDS.

For products that are "one size fits all" (i.e., computers, tanks, etc...) DDS is my first choice. That includes circumstances where the choice involves highly technical information.

#722 - 11/10/01 04:38 PM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
Dafydd Offline
new diver

Loc: SLC, Ut, USA
I was amazed that this topic (Online Vs Local Store) gets side tracked around here so easy...
Ya, I'm new here and new to diving. But the concept remains the same, wether its dive gear or photogear.
The pros and cons.
Local, positives.
1. They are local!
2. You can go back to them any time.
3. You talk to and create relationships with real people.
4. At my local dive shop they have a pool. That means you can bring your suit and try it before you bue it.
5. Warrantee.
6. Service.
Local, negatives.
1. They have high over head cost.
2. Low valume, means mark up.
3. Taxes, (unless you consider paying your fair share to operate the country a good thing, I do).
4. They have higher prices.
5. You might not like the people.

Mail order posatives.
1. Lower cost
2. Hm, having trouble with number two.
Mail order negatives.
1. Differant people every time you call. Or no people if you go internet.
2. It takes extra time.
3. No way to try it before buing it.
4. Returns are a hassle.
5. Difficult to verify if the warrantee is valid.
6. Could send you a "Store Demo" as a "New" item. This happend to me.
7. Service means sending it back or going to the local shop after buing it elswere.

There seems to be something wrong to me with the attitude that the bottom line is always cost. The "Who ever has the lowest price gets the bid" attitude. Its what we complain about when it comes to governmet work, but when we do it can it be OK?
I think a lot more goes into it than cost. I do go to the local shop and tell them up front, I found this item for $X on the internet. You having it here and being able to try it means a lot to me, but come on $X? They will always try to keep my business and knowing costs and how to "haggle" is just part of doing business. I perfer local to internet unless the item must be specail ordered. Or, I admit it, the price differance is just too extreem.

#723 - 11/18/01 02:27 AM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
rstone Offline
veteran

Loc: Jacksonville, FL USA
quote:
Originally posted by Dafydd:
The pros and cons.
Local, positives.
1. They are local!
2. You can go back to them any time.

Store hours permitting

quote:
3. You talk to and create relationships with real people.

Of course anyone can be nice to your face, its what goes on behind your back that matters.

quote:
4. At my local dive shop they have a pool. That means you can bring your suit and try it before you bue it.

Thats always nice, but most shops dont/wont let you do that.

quote:
5. Warrantee.
6. Service.
Local, negatives.
1. They have high over head cost.
2. Low valume, means mark up.
3. Taxes, (unless you consider paying your fair share to operate the country a good thing, I do).
4. They have higher prices.

Well that depends on the store. Our store can beat most online prices, but then again we buy in high volume, and have 9 stores.

quote:
5. You might not like the people.

Well you might not like the online people to.

quote:
Mail order posatives.
1. Lower cost.

Not always

quote:
2. Hm, having trouble with number two.
Mail order negatives.
1. Differant people every time you call. Or no people if you go internet.
2. It takes extra time.
3. No way to try it before buing it.
4. Returns are a hassle.
5. Difficult to verify if the warrantee is valid.
6. Could send you a "Store Demo" as a "New" item. This happend to me.
7. Service means sending it back or going to the local shop after buing it elswere.

There seems to be something wrong to me with the attitude that the bottom line is always cost. The "Who ever has the lowest price gets the bid" attitude. Its what we complain about when it comes to governmet work, but when we do it can it be OK?
I think a lot more goes into it than cost. I do go to the local shop and tell them up front, I found this item for $X on the internet. You having it here and being able to try it means a lot to me, but come on $X? They will always try to keep my business and knowing costs and how to "haggle" is just part of doing business. I perfer local to internet unless the item must be specail ordered. Or, I admit it, the price differance is just too extreem.

Well some shops wont haggle with you. They have discounted the item so much they have little room as it is.

#724 - 11/19/01 07:26 AM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
Dive Grrl Offline
avid diver

Well, for most of you this is probably blinding obvious, but for those who donít know-- Donít buy dive watches from Jewellers! They donít know a damn thing!

I was sold a 'dive watch' good for 200m. It flooded and fogged at 14m. I was back to the jewellers within the week demanding a replacement- here is the rather amusing conversation that ensued.
Me: Yes, I would like a replacement, my watch has flooded.
Assistant: Tell me, did you dive with or without tanks?
Me: With, but whatís that got to do with my watch?
Assistant: Did you dive any deeper than 200m?
Me: What? That would kill me! I only took it 14m, and it broke! As far as I'm concerned you guys owe me a watch!
Assistant: **with a nasty look** You do realise that this brand is only splash proof?
Me: Splash proof? How can it be splash proof at 200m? Thatís ridicules!
Assistant: If you like we can use it as part trade in for a new watch?
Me: ** after a good look at all the watches** Ohh, this one is nice, Ill have it.
Assistant: ** in a hurry** Let me box it up for you!
Me: Waaiit!!! Let me have a look at that. Hold on a sec, the Bezel is stuck!
Assistant: Oh, its not stuck, its just there for decoration, its not supposed to turn.
Me: Arrrrrgh!!!!!!!!!

True story! In the end I nearly killed the shop assistant as he boxed my broken watch up to be send back to the manufacturers!

#725 - 12/04/01 08:32 AM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
Northeastwrecks Offline
veteran

Sadly, I must retract my earlier praise of online dive shops as my most recent experience has shown that, notwithstanding their promises, online shops are risky.

On October 22, 2001, I purchased two 120 cu. ft. tanks from DDS. I received the tanks. Prior to using them, I made arrangement to have them oxygen cleaned for Nitrox use at my LDS.

Before I left the shop, the owner called me in an told me that one of the tanks was rusty. He showed me the inside of the tank, which was, in fact, severely rusted.

I called DDS to report the problem. DDS asked me to contact Genesis directly. Genesis confirmed that this was, in fact, a problem and told me to return the tank. DDS agreed to accept the return.

DDS received the tank on November 19, 2001. They promised to deal with the problem in 5 days. In later correspondence, however, they told me that it would take at least two weeks for them to address the situation. Shipping would take another week.

I could not wait three or more weeks for a new tank; accordingly, I asked for a refund.

Up to this point, DDS had been helpful and cooperative. After requesting the refund, however, this changed. On November 21, 2001, I received one line response stating that "We will take care of it for you." Instead of being signed, the message came from "Instructor".

As of December 4, 2001, I still have not received my credit. Moreover, DDS no longer acknowledges my emails and will not return telephone calls. I've had to ask my credit card company to initiate an investigation so that they can charge back the purchase.

In sharp contrast, on the one occassion where I had a problem with a dive computer purchased at my LDS, the owner (1) stayed open late so that I could get to his shop; (2) processed the repair immediately; and (3) gave me a new "loaner" so that I could dive the next day and until the repair was completed. He also called the manufacturer to track the repair and kept me up to date on the status.

Overall, this level of service is worth the extra money, if any, that I spend. I am now firmly of the belief that you should find a dive shop that offers excellent customer service at reasonable prices, then stay with them. While there is nothing wrong with checking out the competition to keep the LDS honest, good service and loyalty is worth more than the savings.

#726 - 12/05/01 11:05 AM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
Mel Offline
veteran

Loc: Irvine, CA USA
Dear Daniel,

Rebecca just drew my attention to your post.

First off, I am very sorry for the inconvenience to you. Everyone around here knows about your situation and here is the end result, and I think you know about the bumps in the road so I wonít belabor thoseÖbut one of the tanks you bought from us for a special application had a substance called tank wash, which is safe, but caused everybody to go a little nuts. Also, the Instructor who was working on your case was on holiday for a few days which made matters worse since we personally assign an Instructor to any unusual problem so we are sure to have accountability and resolutions of a customerís problem in the most expeditious way, but in this case, it took a few days longer to solve your problem. Your refund has been done and will appear on your next billing cycle. I am glad that you have a local dive store that you have a great relationship with. We try to be that to our customers here in So Cal and also our web customers who do not have a knowledgeable and nearby local dive store with which to do business.

Thank you for the opportunity to serve you and again, I am very sorry for the inconvenience we caused you.

#727 - 12/05/01 06:36 PM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
Northeastwrecks Offline
veteran

Dear Mel:

Thank you very much. I appreciate your response. I understand that things can happen and, in fact, gave everyone the benefit of the doubt until the point where no one was responding.

What I found curious was the fact that DDS had been great until this incident. I ordered several other products and have been happy with them.

Thanks again for your help.

#728 - 12/06/01 09:18 AM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
Mel Offline
veteran

Loc: Irvine, CA USA
You are a very generous person, Daniel. Thank you for the vote of confidence and Happy Holidays,
Mel

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  BobG, Mel, Reggie