Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#709 - 08/15/01 06:01 PM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
kwesler Offline
veteran

Actually, although I have purchased gear online, I have bought very little (under $100) from a strictly online operation. All of my other purchases have been an internet purchase accessing a bricks and mortar store-the oft mentioned "local dive shop". If local dive shops would focus more on competing in a global market, they might find they are selling overseas and increasing their business. No shop carries everything, and the internet eliminates the need to use a brand or style of equipment you might not prefer, simply because it is not carried locally. The negative campaigning-"no serivce/warranty no help in purchasing" cannot help. Work on the positive-COMPETE using the same tools. You can only succeed by doing well yourself, not by badmouthing the other guy.

#710 - 08/16/01 11:58 PM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
sprins Offline
avid diver

Loc: Columbia, Tennessee
This is a major dilemma for me also. While I would like to support my local Dive shop, the prices are just sky high. My son and I are in the process of completing Scuba lessons, so I am looking at having to pay for gear times 2. My local dive shop sells Scuba Pro gear that I really like, but its cost is prohibitive. Then Scuba Pro puts a strangle hold on things by not honoring a warranty if purchased online. (BTW: Just where do online stores get equipment like Scuba Pro if Scuba Pro is not going to honor a warranty? Why would Scuba Pro sell to them?) I am beginning to think the warranty threat is a bunch of BS anyway since all they really guarantee is the parts; you still pay for the labor on your required yearly service calls to keep the warranty in effect. Miss a service time and no more warranty. Sorry for the rambling, but I have looked at alot of equipment online and in store, and the price difference is far too great to ignore. I would like to hear others opinions on this; maybe I am way off base?

[This message has been edited by sprins (edited 08-17-2001).]

#711 - 08/17/01 12:02 AM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
sprins Offline
avid diver

Loc: Columbia, Tennessee

This is a major dilemma for me also. While I would like to support my local Dive shop, the prices are just sky high. My son and I are in the process of completing Scuba lessons, so I am looking at having to pay for gear times 2. My local dive shop sells Scuba Pro gear that I really like, but its cost is prohibitive. Then Scuba Pro puts a strangle hold on things by not honoring a warranty if purchased online. (BTW: Just where do online stores get equipment like Scuba Pro if Scuba Pro is not going to honor a warranty? Why would Scuba Pro sell to them?) I am beginning to think the warranty threat is a bunch of BS anyway since all they really guarantee is the parts; you still pay for the labor on your required yearly service calls to keep the warranty in effect. Miss a service time and no more warranty. Sorry for the rambling, but I have looked at alot of equipment online and in store, and the price difference is far too great to ignore. I would like to hear others opinions on this; maybe I am way off base?

#712 - 08/17/01 04:06 AM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
kwesler Offline
veteran

I cannot speak to your specific situation, but here is what I found. While officially the warranty only covers parts, a local shop will usually perform an annual service at no cost if you buy the regs there. However, I want to correct an often posted inaccuracy-and this is straight from Scubapro. Scubapro ABSOLUTELY honors a warranty on a reg (or whatever) bought in Europe. You do NOT have to send them to the shop in Europe you bought them at, nor do you have to send it to Scubapro Europe. I called SCubapro before I bought my regs to check this, since I had to buy three sets (!) and the cost difference between my local shop and the online sales arm of a UK dive shop was over $800 AFTER shipping.

#713 - 08/17/01 09:59 AM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
wheezy Offline
avid diver

Loc: Newport Beach / CA
Apeks TX-100 MSRP=$630 / AVG Price at LDS=$560 + TAX/ Price from DiveInn.com=$327 delivered to my front door in 4 days...

SIMPLE CHOICE.. how often do you service a reg... once a year here... cost $20-100

How often do I replace my gear? Faster than those yearly servicings add up to surpass the regular cost at a LDS...

Bottom line.. INTERNET IS THE WAY TO GO..

use and abuse places like Sport Chalet to try out stuff and get your hands on it.. find someone who has it to try it.. buy it online and save the money for a new BC while your at it... IT JUST DOES NOT MAKE SENSE TO PAY 120% MARKUP...

Take it easy....

#714 - 08/17/01 03:26 PM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
diverone Offline
veteran

Loc: australia
my two cents....

after being ripped off by the scuba shop.

selling me some unknonw gear " now i now better." this is what i do.....

i go to diff shops and price what i want...
i shop around " NET...ebay.. trading post etc.
and who ever gives me the CHEAPER. price gets the money.....

#715 - 08/20/01 02:22 PM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
wheezy Offline
avid diver

Loc: Newport Beach / CA
not always the best choice: Cheapest is not best... best price for products/service/quality is best... Diveinn.com scores top notch all the way around and is always my first stop to see if they carry what I want... heck sometimes the best bet is to pay more and pay the LDS (such as when you lose your mask and want to dive)...

Good Luck

#716 - 10/12/01 06:39 PM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
Colnago Offline
new diver

Loc: Burbank, CA, USA
IMHO, if you can haggle, go to a shop. There are times that they would give you breaks because you bought a lot of stuff from them like one entire set of equipment for example.

99% of the time, you won't get the same deal with online purchases.

You can also get better advice from someone who you talk to face-to-face especially when it comes to picking out equipment and stuff. Remember, they SEE you and not just READ you. It would be a whole lot easier for them to give advice because they can visualize.

#717 - 10/16/01 01:25 PM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
DiveGalCA Offline
avid diver

Even after haggling them down to a lower price most the time you can find it here cheaper. The retailers make you think your getting a good deal by marking the price WAY up then allowing you to haggle them down. UGGG I hate those games. Im sticking to buying online, no games just good prices.

#718 - 10/25/01 08:15 PM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
Northeastwrecks Offline
veteran

Loc: Longmeadow, MA, USA
For what its worth, I look to my LDS when the item in question is one where the dive shop can bring something to the table to justify the extra expense. That can include the product's immediate availability, their expertise or my desire to compare competing models in the store. I am willing to pay somewhat more for these services. Of course, more is relative. I'll pay a few bucks more for gloves when I want them right away.

I buy online when I want a particular product that doesn't require much personal investigation or when the price differential is significant. For example, I recently order two HP steel 120's. The LDS could not guarantee delivery before March, 2002 because they are out of stock on the East Coast. In addition, the cost differential, after shipping, was approximately $300.00. Needless to say, I bought online.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  BillL, BobG, Clarke, Mel, Reggie