Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#689 - 05/22/01 02:28 PM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
SGHOWE Offline
veteran

Loc: Ashton, Maryland, USA
I agree with the point that he is intitled to buy whatever and from wherever that he wants. It is just that being judgemental of someone simply becuase they areyoung is not only not right but can possibly prevent him from gaining some very valuable knowledge.

#690 - 05/24/01 02:37 PM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
Rebecca Offline
veteran

I think his point was the "kid" behind the counter when he tried on his equipment was not very helpful. Dont think he was bashing 19 year olds. Was more a figure of speach.

#691 - 05/24/01 04:26 PM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
nobends Offline
veteran

Loc: NY,NY, USA
Back to the topic here, how are brick and mortar retail stores going to have to change to compete with the pricing pressure from online stores??

#692 - 05/29/01 10:00 AM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
Wetguy Offline
new diver

The big thing is to do your best to know who you are buying from.

Make sure they know what the heck they are talking about. You can go into a dive shop just as easily as get a "phone instructor" and get nothing more than the same stuff you can read from the catalog yourself on the piece of gear you are interested in. It's all in the approach. Next time you call a web based dive retailer, have a copy of the catalog handy and see what they actually tell you about a piece of equipment. I'll wager it's all in that catalog. Same with the dive shop, the "19" year old we are bashing is repeating what he has been told.

Next thing, when you make up your mind what you want, do you actually get it? Did you get the color you wanted? Did you get the item you wanted. Did you get convinced that you must take another color or item because the retailer (web or shop) can't get it for you?

Personally, when I spend MY money, I know what I want, and THAT is what I want. If the place I'm shopping doesn't have it, I'm sure somebody will.

Shopping is shopping. Web or retail. Makes no difference, you can get screwed just as easily in both areas. Some of the "best" sites/store out there pull the above crud on a daily basis.

Do your research, there's many places to get the info now a days, find what you really want, then don't let somebody who THINKS they know what you want talk you out of it. Buy it in the best place for you. There really is no right or wrong.

#693 - 06/02/01 09:55 AM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
jshimmer Offline
veteran

Loc: Detroit, MI, USA
Just as an example, I priced an AquaLung Cousteau D Glacia (1st and 2nd stages, cold water) at a local dive shop (popular one), and online.

Local dive shop wants $430 + tax (6%).
Online wants $235 + shipping.

How could I possibly convince myself to purchase it at the local dive shop?

#694 - 06/04/01 09:06 AM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
TexasMike Offline
veteran

You might print off the page of the online store that lists the price and show it to the dive shop. Let the shop know you appreciate their taking the time to assist you and that you would like to make your purchase there if they will come down on the price, or offer something else (for free?) that will make up the difference.

Always worth a try.

--Michael

#695 - 06/05/01 07:04 AM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
jshimmer Offline
veteran

quote:
Originally posted by TexasMike:
You might print off the page of the online store that lists the price and show it to the dive shop. Let the shop know you appreciate their taking the time to assist you and that you would like to make your purchase there if they will come down on the price, or offer something else (for free?) that will make up the difference.

Always worth a try.

--Michael

Basically, I did. And what he told me was that RETAIL dive shops are bound by contract to sell most (if not everything) at an agreed upon markup, and NOTHING LESS. That's why they can't match the mail order prices (and, of course, you get the mfg warranty, local service, support, knowledge, etc.). But I still can't bring myself to spend $3500 locally when I can get it all for $1900 mail order.

#696 - 06/05/01 07:58 AM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
TexasMike Offline
veteran

"Contractually bound to sell at that price"????? I'd ask to see the contract! Last I had heard, this was supposed to be a free market society. If the manufacturer was so keen at contractually forcing a retail price, then how in heck are online's able to provide a discount? I think he was feeding you some hooey there.

(I'm also thinking of a car dealership trying to pull the same line of BS, especially when all the ads say "$$$ off of the MSRP")

I patronize a shop in Dallas that sells Zeagle, Genesis, TUSA, Dive-Rite, and others as it's main lines. And constantly they are working deals with me and others on equipment providing discounts and tossing in small stuff to sweeten the deal.

Out of curiosity, have you priced the equipment at another shop yet? Oh, and was the guy that told you that the manager or just a flunky?

[This message has been edited by TexasMike (edited 06-05-2001).]

#697 - 06/06/01 05:17 PM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
jshimmer Offline
veteran

TexasMike -

He said that, basically, many of the stores that sell online get their merchandise from OTHER retail shops that are liquidating due to (mostly) going out of business. Some even approach legit retailers, agree to purchase large quantities with the obligation to sell them retail, but turn around and sell wholesale.

My only beef with online purchasing is, at many places, you don't receive the manufacturer's warranty. Even if you DO get a "store warranty", it's only good as long as the store is in business.

Having to send stuff back to the store via mail, UPS, etc., can be a pain in the butt and costly. And I like being able to look someone in the eye, tell him/her that he/she sold me a piece of $hit, and get them to do something THEN. Mail order, you can't do that.

Now this does NOT apply to those manufacturers that are mostly and/ or strictly mail order (i.e., IDI, Zeagle, Cressi, etc.).

Again, I'm just repeating what he said. Do I believe him? To some extent, yes. But to the majority of the extent, no.

Will I purchase most everything (if not all) mail order? Probably. It's just a tough decision when you weigh some of the other factors in. How do I size a wetsuit? How do I make sure the mask fits/seals properly when I have my regulator in my mouth? Can't do that mail order. And shipping back and forth until you get the right size/model/combination/whatever can be costly.

#698 - 06/08/01 12:58 AM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
Hyperjoe Offline
veteran

Loc: Mayfield Hts
"And I like being able to look someone in the eye, tell him/her that he/she sold me a piece of $hit,"

I do too.=)

-hyper

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  BobG, Mel, Reggie