Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#679 - 05/12/01 03:30 PM Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
nobends Offline
veteran

Loc: NY,NY, USA
I started this topic because of lot of other posts have strayed from the original question and led into a debate about buying online vs. buying from you local retailer. So let the debate begin!

Here is my opinion first..... There is nothing really different about the scuba retailer from any other specialized retailer out there. The internet has shifted the shopping/information paradigm and all business are going to have shift with it or perish. Visiting local retailers for scuba equipment is an invaluable source of information and opinions. Furthermore, the ability to get you hands on the equipment is probably the best advantage that these stores have. Obviously, the internet retailers have an advantage (in some cases) of pricing.

Does it make sense to buy gear from a local retailer when I can get it for less money on the internet?? The answer is - it depends! The local retailer has to offer some service or benefit to make up for the difference in price. In some cases, this will simply be the expert advice, in others, it may be future maintenance, discounted training, cheaper air fills, ect... However, the local retailer has to recognize that business is changing, and they must recognize the change and embrace it, rather than complaining that the internet is hurting their business. It works both ways! If I were a local retailer, I would fight back and use the internet to generate more walk throughs and revenue. So far, internet only stores (in all business verticals) have largely failed. This will be the case with on-line scuba stores too. I offer the prediction that brick and mortar only retailers will eventually fail too. Combine the two and you will succeed!

Other opinions?

[This message has been edited by nobends (edited 05-14-2001).]

#680 - 05/14/01 01:24 PM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
nobends Offline
veteran

Loc: NY,NY, USA
Bringing this back to the top....

#681 - 05/16/01 01:53 PM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
Hyperjoe Offline
veteran

Loc: Mayfield Hts
If this is a "true" concern, then let them win with a fight. The high cost of Equipment from local dealers are taking advantage of the unknowledgeable customers.
This goes at least from where im at in Cleveland. Just one of several examples. A Tulsa mask at Diversdiscount.com went for a cool $40 (where I bought it), where the same mask went for $73(where I tryed it on) at my local dive shop. Now THATS A RIP!! In fact they even tried to sell me the TOP OF THE LINE MAres Fins(VOLO) for a cool $189, YES $189!
I agree with you fully!
I will not pay almost 100% more to have a young(19yrs) 'lad' say "This is the best we have, and you need them."

-Hyper

[This message has been edited by Hyperjoe (edited 05-16-2001).]

#682 - 05/16/01 03:03 PM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
SGHOWE Offline
veteran

Loc: Ashton, Maryland, USA
hyperjoe,
Just how much experience do you have??? I know of 19 year old guys who work in diveshops that from the sound of your posts know more about diving and have done more diving at their age than you will ever do. And on a slightly related note, just what is a tulsa mask??? I heard of TUSA but never tulsa. I will give you points though for not buying the Mares Volo fins. However I think they are undesirable at any price.
Take Care,
Sean

#683 - 05/20/01 04:28 AM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
scuba1066 Offline
veteran

Loc: Oneida, NY
Hi,
Just make sure that the gear you DO buy has full manufacturers warranties if purchased thru the mail. Many times you can get good deals on the Internet, other times (aka - Tanks) you can buy them for about the same price locally as when you add the cost of S&H to the Internet order. Selection-wise, many times the Internet shops offer betterand more varied selections.

#684 - 05/20/01 08:22 AM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
monsieur_Net Offline
veteran

Loc: Montreal/Québec/Canada
I haven't buy a lot of stuff online because it will cost me about the same price :-)

I'm from canada and if I combine the shiping plus the conversion can/us$, I save less than 3%!

#685 - 05/21/01 10:35 PM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
SpawnFE Offline
avid diver

Loc: Crestview, Florida, USA
My wife and I have been diving for about a year now and I just ordered all my equipment from an on line vendor. Dollar for dollar we saved over $1000.00 by buying it online! Over one thousand! That is a strong statement no matter what your view is about online buying. Yes I have to wait for it to get here and if its not right I have to return it but I will still come out ahead with some patience. There are some items I would definately buy local, namely wetsuits.

#686 - 05/23/01 12:52 AM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
Hyperjoe Offline
veteran

Loc: Mayfield Hts
"Just how much experience do you have???"

I’m not understanding what you mean by, experience? How one gets from my post that I dont know anything about diving is beyond me, considering I just gave an opinion. Your statement doesn’t follow in any order or sense to what I had written. Please keep on the topic, and try not to attack a person, but rather his argument. This method is fallacious in nature. Also, provide evidence to WHY I’m not as you stated, “experience”, or HOW can he know "more about diving and have done more diving at their age than you will ever do." When you dont even know me?

-hyper

BTW, I have been diving for over 8 yrs if that helps.

#687 - 05/22/01 01:18 PM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
SGHOWE Offline
veteran

Loc: Ashton, Maryland, USA
Hyper,
My point was that your post implied that no 19 year old could possibly have any useful knowledge about diving to pass on to you, when in fact that is not the case.

#688 - 05/22/01 01:59 PM Re: Buying Online vs. Buying at local store
Hybrid8 Offline
veteran

Loc: Toronto, Canada
quote:
Originally posted by SGHOWE:
My point was that your post implied that no 19 year old could possibly have any useful knowledge about diving to pass on to you, when in fact that is not the case.

IMO, he was just pointing out that he feels he's within his right to buy what he wants, where he wants, and not get something pushed on him by some floor-jockey at the local shop (which may very well be a crummy shop to begin with - you'll have to ask about the specific shop he mentioned).

I just think you're letting comments from other threads get mixed in here, trying to make a point of showing-up Hyperjoe for whatever reason. More than likely because you are 19 or even 18 or 20 and simply take offence at him using "19" - purely as an example.

Concentrate on what's important in the message being presented. Not the fact that he wrote TULSA instead of TUSA - or Tabata USA if you want to be super-cool.

Anyway, be careful on line as well. I've seen places selling Mares Abyss for over $500 when I can buy them here, in Canada, at local shops for just over $600 CANADIAN.

If you want to do a price reality-check, always look at EBAY for new items. People selling on a regular basis are certainly not finding these items, they're buying them wholesale. The markup on SCUBA, like many other things, can be fairly high.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  BobG, Mel, Reggie