Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#6789 - 04/23/01 08:22 PM Dive computer with GPS
nobends Offline
veteran

Loc: NY,NY, USA
I wonder if it is possible with current techinology to blend a dive computer with a hand held GPS. I know that a lot of GPS's have a hard time getting a signal with an obstructed overhead view. But how cool would it be to use a GPS to plot a path through a cave system instead of a reel, or use it to remember a particulary cool swim through or grotto on a reef system. How long will it be.....

#6790 - 04/24/01 05:13 AM Re: Dive computer with GPS
Toothpickman Offline
veteran

I was just speaking to a dive buddy about this and we thought it would be a great thing. What we thought the problem was the signal with the technology used now, isn't strong enough to penetrate the water at depth. Though it would make navigation much easier.

#6791 - 04/24/01 10:05 AM Re: Dive computer with GPS
nobends Offline
veteran

Loc: NY,NY, USA
I suppose you could design a system that had the GPS receiver on the surface that boosts the signal and re-transmits to the dive computer underwater. Would require a LOT of testing for reliability, but I bet we see something along these lines in next few years. I'd buy one!!

#6792 - 06/15/01 03:12 AM Re: Dive computer with GPS
jmsdiver Offline
veteran

Loc: USA
I remember reading something about this: there currently is a model, but relies on a tether and sensor at the surface. So would be good if you want to carry a buoy with you always.

Moderator:  BillL, BobG, Clarke, Mel