Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#6785 - 04/22/01 11:43 PM UW black lights
ReefHussy Offline
just got here

Loc: Taringa, QLD, Australia
I can't remember if it is UV lights or black lights, but someone should invent hand-held lights that really illuminate the coral, animals, etc.

#6786 - 05/02/01 08:52 PM Re: UW black lights
TexasMike Offline
veteran

Actually, a regular dive light will do the trick.

According to my instructor, water filters the "white" light from the sun in such a way that mostly blue/green is all that is left at depth. But if you carry a dive light, this is a white light source that should really show off the colors of the marine life.

And don't forget, someone is manufacturing masks with color correcting lenses. These are something that I definitely want to try.

#6787 - 05/04/01 06:10 PM Re: UW black lights
TexasMike Offline
veteran

Found something else about this topic...

At a recent dive club meeting, they showed off a dive light that throws the same "color" light as sunlight. Looks a bit weird in a dark room, but the results underwater were impressive. Presenter said you could also use this with your photography to get the bright colors of the coral and marine life.

--TexasMike

[This message has been edited by Rebecca (edited 06-22-2001).]

#6788 - 06/22/01 09:44 AM Re: UW black lights
Rebecca Offline
veteran

Someone has designed a light that does this. It is called the Night Sea Ultra blue dive light you can click below to view it. http://diversdiscount.com/images/lights/ultrablue.jpg

Moderator:  BobG, Mel