Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#6761 - 01/23/01 10:57 AM building the ultimate new dive computer for $50.
Mel Offline
veteran

Loc: Irvine, CA USA
Okay, anyone who can help me with this, great. Post here and let's make this happen. I want to put together somebody who can design a dry box that can fit most PDA's, with my guys who can write a cool dive deco program in windows ce, so users can have a cheap dive computer in the form of an inexpensive piece of software that works with their existing palm top, that can be upgraded easily and inexpensively. Thanks for any help anyone out there can offer. Dive manufacturers, you are invited to help, too.

#6762 - 03/05/01 05:46 AM Re: building the ultimate new dive computer for $50.
SGHOWE Offline
veteran

Loc: Ashton, Maryland, USA
You would be surprised at how inexpensively one can aquire a very good, compact dive computer for these days. The Aladin Sport by Uwatec, distributed by Scubapro sells for $250 these days. It is a wonderful piece of gear and does everything that a recreational diver really needs at a very affordable price. Even if you could create a program for a PDA, which is possible, I know some people who are in the process of making a program for creating decompression tables for mixed gas diving for a PDA, it most likely would not be as practical compared to a computer like the aladin sport. It would be much bulkier and would necessitate the use of a custom housing, which can be pricier that you might expect. Hope that this was helpful, if you have anyother questions feel free to ask.
Safe Diving,
Sean

#6763 - 03/06/01 12:40 AM Re: building the ultimate new dive computer for $50.
Mel Offline
veteran

Loc: Irvine, CA USA
Thank you for your feedback, Sean. I am actually thinking of this doing more than just the tables, and enriched air tables, I am also envisioning a fish id section and many other areas divers can access.

As for the housing, I am thinking about one of the waterproof heavy duty bags that fit generic brands of cameras.

I'll take any other feedback you can offer.

#6764 - 03/05/01 01:41 PM Re: building the ultimate new dive computer for $50.
Dave Offline
avid diver

Loc: Davis, CA, USA
I dont think a heavy duty bag would be able to provide enough protection from the water pressure. If there are any air pockets in the PDA, this would most likely cause the PDA to implode.

#6765 - 03/08/01 01:54 PM Re: building the ultimate new dive computer for $50.
SGHOWE Offline
veteran

Loc: Ashton, Maryland, USA
Mel,
Having a fish id section and other features like that would certainly be very interesting. I would definatley be interested in having an interactive source for a variety of info on a dive. Also i would imagine that it could be used for communication as well. I would tend to think however that a hard acrylic housing of sorts may be a better idea for a housing.
Good Luck,
Sean

#6766 - 04/11/01 10:58 PM Re: building the ultimate new dive computer for $50.
Rany Polany Offline
new diver

Hello,
I own a business that designs, manufactures, and markets underwater technology for such devices. Including MP3 and CD-Player systems with high fidelity audio. We have secured U.S. Patents for these technologies. I hope you write back so I may be able to provide you with what you are looking for.
thank you
Rany Polany
President
rpolany@desdiver.com
Diver Entertainment Systems Inc. http://desdiver.com

Moderator:  BillL, BobG, Clarke, Mel