Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#64404 - 11/08/12 06:32 PM Diving with asthma
Andra Offline
new diver

Hey everyone

Im a mild asthmatic, if I take my inhaler before exercise I wont get any symptoms.
Iv completed a dozen dives over a few years up to 25 meters.

So, I'm going to be in Vanuatu on holiday and iv been looking at the SS President Coolige. The most difficult dive I would do is a 40m max, penetration dive, on what is a heavily used and popular wreck dive, with a divemaster.

Q: What are the difficulties involved with this much more difficult dive than I'm use to, in particular the greater depth and my asthma.

Thanks in advance for any help.

#64418 - 01/11/13 03:17 PM Re: Diving with asthma [Re: Andra]
BobG Offline
veteran

Loc: Irvine, CA
The biggest piece of advice we can give on this subject is always going to be "consult a physician with knowledge of diving".

Asthma of any type used to be an automatic medical contradiction to diving. The views on it over the years have changed and relaxed somewhat, but in the long run a doctor with experience dealing with the effects of dry compressed breathing air and asthma is going to be the smartest bet.

Moderator:  BillL, BobG, Clarke, Mel, Reggie