Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#6220 - 04/06/04 03:39 AM Scuba Job
David_dup1 Offline
just got here

Loc: Orange County, CA
I've recently become PADI OW certified and I signed up for an advanced class in July (wish I could take it sooner, but my current work schedule is awful.)

I have completely become obsessed with diving and can't imagine wanting to do anything else with my time.

My question is: what is the best way to get a job in the scuba world? I've got retail experience, so I'd be looking for that kind of gig or a job with a manufacturer (since most of them are local.) Anyone have any advice or leads?

Yes, I realize that many places would like you to be a certified instructor or at least divemaster. I do plan on getting to divemaster level (hopefully within the next year), but I would really like to work in the industry in the mean time.

Thanks!

- David

#6221 - 04/19/04 09:29 AM Re: Scuba Job
BillL Offline
veteran

Loc: So. California, USA
Take as many training courses as possible and dive as much as you can. Try to find a dive center that will help you by letting you watch or assist with classes. They will probably require a certain level of trainig before you can actually help, but some of it will come with the courses. Many of the local areas have consumer shows that have lots of great seminars and workshops. Bottom line gather as much experience and knowledge as you can. If we can answer any questions feel free to post or even contact one of our instructors for help.

Moderator:  BillL, BobG, Clarke, Mel