Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#6134 - 06/23/03 09:55 PM Re: HELP !!! AIR CONSUMPTION !!!
ScubaDiverJunkie Offline
veteran

Loc: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Well....The increase in my diving has resulted in an increase in relaxation which now has resulted in more bottom time so far. My last dives were at 35' for 58min/ 58' for 41min/ 72' 35 min. I am pretty happy now that I am increasing my time. I tried several of the techniques offered and also of the techniques offered in Rodales ScubaDiving mag. Thank-you everyone for the tips and all the help. Hopefully I will be able to do the same someday. At present I dive 2-3 times a week and wish I could 7 days a week !!!! Thanks again !!

#6135 - 06/25/03 12:06 AM Re: HELP !!! AIR CONSUMPTION !!!
BillL Offline
veteran

Loc: So. California, USA
That's Great! Let us know if we can help with anything else. What do you think was the most contributing factor to the improved air consumption?

#6136 - 06/24/03 05:41 PM Re: HELP !!! AIR CONSUMPTION !!!
ScubaDiverJunkie Offline
veteran

Loc: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
I think the most helpful (besides relaxtion) was a smooth controlled breathing rate. Really just getting in a patern and staying relaxed and breathing nice and smooth. Deep inhale - pause(open throat) - full exhale.

#6137 - 01/03/08 10:48 PM Re: HELP !!! AIR CONSUMPTION !!! [Re: ScubaDiverJunkie]
Gerald Offline
new diver

I'm 6' and 200 lb. and 61 yr. Here's what I do to max. my down time. First, just drift... go slow... do no effort.. move slowly. Second, do yoga breathing... feels like you fill your stomach and then your chest.. slows your metabolism and gets you right into that zen state. Third, stay above (and usually behind) your buddy or dive master.. you'll see just as much and use less air because you are shallower. Lastly... and seriously, use a larger tank than your buddies, and who cares? That's the trend btw.

#6138 - 01/06/08 10:01 AM Re: HELP !!! AIR CONSUMPTION !!! [Re: Gerald]
GeorgeS Offline
avid diver

Loc: Irvine, CA USA
Those are all great ways to extend your dive time. Don't forget about your No Deco Limits.

#6139 - 02/28/08 09:01 AM Re: HELP !!! AIR CONSUMPTION !!! [Re: BillL]
esprocks Offline
avid diver

Junkie, I am in the same boat as you. I am 6'5" and 210lbs and I burn air like crazy. I am in great shape, but even sitting and watching TV, I breath fast and deep, so I chalk my problem up to genetics. But I have stopped worrying about it because I found myself thinking so much about breathing that I didn't really enjoy what was around me. After I stopped thinking about it it got a little better. One other thing that helped was I got a ScubaPro regulator with the air flow adjustment. I just cranked it all the way down to minimum, and although I still breath alot of air, it actually did help my consumption a bit.
Just don't try to change the way you are built, rather embrace it, accept that you use more than others, and enjoy the time you are down.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BobG, Mel