Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6124 - 06/03/03 06:15 PM HELP !!! AIR CONSUMPTION !!!
ScubaDiverJunkie Offline
veteran

Loc: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
I seem to run through my tank (80 cu in) in roughly 35 to 45 minz. I hate being the first to always have to end a dive because of AIR. I am 6' 2" 210lbs and have been diving for about 2 months. I dive at least 2 to 3 times a week. I live in South Florida so I am usually diving in 70-80 degree water. Can anyone please give me some PSI saving tips. PLEASE. I read an article in this month's RODALE's SCUBA DIVING which had some techniques that I will try, but I am in desperate need of AIR SAVING TIPS. Any help is most appreciated.

Thanks !!

#6125 - 06/03/03 10:03 PM Re: HELP !!! AIR CONSUMPTION !!!
excite2scuba Offline
veteran

Loc: Frenchtown NJ
Read that article, it will help. I was just in florida diving and i tryed to do as the article advised and it helped. Streamline your gear, move slowly and practice the breathing method that they talk about. I myself noticed a difference.Your air comsumpsion will get better the more you dive. I was always worried about cutting the dive short due to my using more air. What I did was buy a steel 100 tank. It evens me out with the people who dive with 80's.Your air will get better the more you feel comfortable diving. Just try as the article say's and you will notice a difference in your dive time.

#6126 - 06/04/03 05:06 PM Re: HELP !!! AIR CONSUMPTION !!!
BillL Offline
veteran

Loc: So. California, USA
The bigger the diver the more air they will use. In some cases divers will always use more air than others. Getting comfortable with your equipment and becoming relaxed in the water will ultimately lower your air consumption. Be aware of your breathing. Full slow inhalation and exhalations give you the best gas exchange and will lower your breathing rate. When you first start diving don't worry so much about your air consumption, relax and enjoy the dive. After a while you'll get better at using your air.

#6127 - 06/07/03 09:20 AM Re: HELP !!! AIR CONSUMPTION !!!
bottomrunner Offline
veteran

Loc: kingston,ontario,canada
hi
i have the same problem
and yes your bottom time will get better
got to learn to relax, and get rid of what i like to call the zoom zoom attitude
and by the way i went to twin 120 steels to solve my problem
good luck [Big Grin]

#6128 - 06/08/03 06:47 PM Re: HELP !!! AIR CONSUMPTION !!!
Jaxscubadiver Offline
avid diver

Loc: Jacksonville FL
What are the typical depths that you are diving? This is a critical part of the equation to measuring your air consumption. You say that you are only getting 35-45 mins, at what depth? Some key points have already been mentioned like being streamlined and relaxing. Perfect your buoyancy, make sure you are not over weighted, full deep breaths so your body has a chance to use all the oxygen on each breath and keep working on your dive skills all the time. Do you use an adjustable regulator?

#6129 - 06/11/03 08:02 AM Re: HELP !!! AIR CONSUMPTION !!!
BillL Offline
veteran

Keep us posted as to what tips you try and if they helped.

#6130 - 06/11/03 06:07 PM Re: HELP !!! AIR CONSUMPTION !!!
DiverD Offline
veteran

Loc: So. Cal.
I read a tip that was helpfull to me. Before you descend, put your snorkel in your mouth and spend some time on the surface with your face in the water, just looking at (or towards) the bottom, breath through your snorkel and try to relax. do this for a few minutes, perhaps on the way to the anchor line. Then when you're ready put your reg in your mouth and descend. This technique relaxes you befor your descent and relaxation is the key to low air consumption.

#6131 - 06/12/03 10:31 AM Re: HELP !!! AIR CONSUMPTION !!!
BillL Offline
veteran

Good tip! Relaxing is a key point when it comes to air consumption.

#6132 - 06/12/03 10:39 AM Re: HELP !!! AIR CONSUMPTION !!!
divealot Offline
veteran

Loc: Huntsville, AL
I have noticed that my air consumption improves the more physically fit I am. Running and swimming are good activities to improve your lung efficiency. Pay attention to the tips already given, they help a lot. This is a long range solution to maximize your bottom time. Good luck [Big Grin]

#6133 - 06/12/03 01:40 PM Re: HELP !!! AIR CONSUMPTION !!!
BillL Offline
veteran

I find the best way to get in shape for diving is to dive. When I can't dive the next best thing is circuit training in the pool using mask, fins and snorkel. You can either use distance and time or increase the weight carried as benchmarks. Diving uses very specfic muscles and the best way to increase your fitness is to work those muscles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BobG, Mel