Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#6112 - 04/17/03 08:20 PM contacts and diving
watergal Offline
just got here

Loc: NW.Arkansas
I am just finishing my Open water diving class. I wear glasses and in the first pool session realized that I could not see my gages with out glasses so tonight I wore my contacts. Was nervous because I had to remove mask, and the clorene seemed to bother them. Is it easier in the lake? And how does salt water affect contacts. Thanks

#6113 - 04/20/03 09:46 AM Re: contacts and diving
bottomrunner Offline
veteran

Loc: kingston,ontario,canada
a pescribed mask might be the way to go. and 50 bucks extra for the lenses
another idea take an old pair of glasses and place lenses inside of mask
i hope this will help a little

#6114 - 04/21/03 08:41 AM Re: contacts and diving
BadFish Offline
veteran

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I wear contact when i dive, and i find no problems with it. What i do is this, i bought an extra contact case, adn i save the previous months lens in the extra case that i marked as DIve. then when i dive i wear the saved pair and bring my regular pair with me on the boat.
If i lose a contact i have a backup pair, and in truth in the two years i've been diving i haven't had a issue with losing them.

You should be just fine, just cloe your eyes when you flood your mask, you'll be fine.

IF you have more questions you can contact me by email or at scubadivernet.com
later.....

#6115 - 04/21/03 09:21 AM Re: contacts and diving
BillL Offline
veteran

Loc: So. California, USA
It was probably the pool water that irritated your eyes, I don't think the contacts were the problem. Many divers use their contacts while diving. Just be careful, it is easy to lose the contacts when you open your eyes underwater. The other way to go is with a prescription mask. Check our website under masks with optical lenses for more information.

#6116 - 04/24/03 04:35 AM Re: contacts and diving
dream-mermaid Offline
avid diver

Loc: thailand
Hi,
I dived for years with contacts without problems and never needed to remove my mask again. When I started working as a dive instructor I had so many problems with eye infections that i finally went for the LASIK operation and I am happy beyond belief with the result, both in and out of the water.

#6117 - 04/26/03 09:31 AM Re: contacts and diving
divealot Offline
veteran

Loc: Huntsville, AL
I got my certification before I got contacts. At first I was a little nervous about loosing a contact while diving but that went away in less than 5 minutes. Just keep your eyes closed when you flood or remove your mask. Having a back up pair of contacts is a great suggestion!

Moderator:  BobG, Mel