Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5835 - 02/21/02 12:27 AM I'm new.....
Scuba_Cool Offline
avid diver

Loc: Florida
Hey~ I'm new to this boared and scuba diving. I will be going on my first open water dive this saturday at MarineLand and I'm kinda nervous. Also I just got new equitment,and wet suit, and havent at a chanse to try it out in the water. Will that affecte my dive? Well thanx,
~*Elizabeth*~

#5836 - 02/20/02 11:51 PM Re: I'm new.....
jmsdiver Offline
veteran

Loc: USA
Maybe.

I'm going to assume that this is your first open water dive aftertraining dives. Thus, I recommend doing some shallow diving first to get use to the equipment that you have bought. Furthermore, I would recommend doing a weight check (as outlined in your scuba textbook and should have been covered somewhere in your class) prior to the dive and make adjustments as necessary.

Cheers and happy diving

#5837 - 02/21/02 09:26 AM Re: I'm new.....
Scuba_Cool Offline
avid diver

Yes, see I have done the pool and class room stuff and now I'm going to MarineLand for my first dive. I havent bought any equitment yet my instruclter asighns us equitment for all our classes but the one he gave me doesnt work so for MarineLand I'm using another one. i'm pretty excited but nerouse to.
~*Elizabeth*~

#5838 - 02/21/02 01:59 PM Re: I'm new.....
Rebecca Offline
veteran

Welcome to the board, you will notice that when wearing a wetsuit most of the rental equipment will feel about the same. For instance the power inflator on the BC will always be located in the same place and the air on the regulator set up will always be located on the right. Part of the pool process is getting used to this equipment, you could ask your instructor but in most cases stores have many of the same items for rentals. It is likely that you will be picking up the same brand and style as you used in the pool. Have fun, let us know how it went.

PS. Are you diving "Old Marineland" in CA?

#5839 - 02/23/02 12:50 AM Re: I'm new.....
Scuba_Cool Offline
avid diver

Hey~ Thanx 4 that info i need as much help as I can get! And no its not at "Old MarineLand" its the one located in Florida. They r using it as a reaserch place now I think. The BC is a little diffirent but I think I can handle it. He told be to bring it home with me to get more comfertable with it and so I'll know were everything is. I guss I'll just have to wait till sat...
~*Elizabeth*~

#5840 - 02/23/02 01:50 PM Re: I'm new.....
Scuba_Cool Offline
avid diver

Hey~ Ok here is how my dive went....It was totally awsome! There were giant sea turtels, huge figh, beautiful corals,SHARKS!,and tons of fun. But the weather was really bad and 2morrow i'm going to the springs! Thanx for all the help u guys gave me,it really helped.
Thanx again,
~*Elizabeth*~

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: Scuba_Cool ]

#5841 - 02/23/02 06:10 PM Re: I'm new.....
Rebecca Offline
veteran

You probably saw those turtles and forgot that the equipment was slightly different.

Glad you had a good time!

#5842 - 02/26/02 11:53 AM Re: I'm new.....
Scuba_Cool Offline
avid diver

Hey~ Thanx for all the info you all have given me.
Thanx to your help, I'm now a certified diver! I hated the springs though. We went to Blue Grotto springs and everyone except me loved it. But thanx again for all the help you gave me. Oh and at the springs, there were big catfish, and I brought a hotdog down, and I was feeding the minoes (sp?),and I still had a big pice left and a catfish came up and grabed it from my hand and swalloed it whole! It scared me half to death. And then the minoes were still hungry and....well lets just say it hurts when they bite!
~*Elizabeth*~

#5843 - 02/27/02 01:35 AM Re: I'm new.....
jmsdiver Offline
veteran

Loc: USA
Now isn't that grand? Seeing life underwater is one of the big reasons why people dive; and it helps alleviate the stressors and nervousness that we may feel prior to the dive (it's a distraction). I am happy that you had a great time!

Thought: As you continue to dive you'll see many types of equipment and configurations of that equipment, you may even get to try out different equipment prior to buying it. This is good as it give you new perspectives on something that you already have a base for. And, you'll have the opportunity to figure out what works for you.

I know that you'll continue to have some excellent dives, but there may be a time the dive doesn't go quite like you would have liked. Learn from those dives too so that the next dive will be just as grand as your first. Enjoy the experiences that come your way and happy diving

#5844 - 02/27/02 06:57 AM Re: I'm new.....
foxxfire Offline
avid diver

Loc: nyc
hi all;
well, i'm planning my first open water dives as well, in tortola. Just finished my classroom and will finish the pool on friday.

I've been in bvi before, but not to dive; i have heard that there is a lot of good shallower water diving, so i'm looking forward to it; will let you know how it all went ;-)

thanks for all your informative posts,
fx

#5845 - 02/27/02 07:12 AM Re: I'm new.....
Scuba_Cool Offline
avid diver

Hey~ Cool, that sounds really nice fx. I think i'm gonna start out with shallow diving too. And ya the marine life was a distraction! But I'm gonna go back to the pool this weekend just to get more comfertable,and then I'm going on my first dive trip. Florida Keys,here I come!! Well like I've said in my other posts,I really appreciate the help you are giving me.
~*Elizabeth*~
P.S. did anyone else have trouble with mask clearing three? you know the one were you have to take the mask totally of your head and put if back
on under water? I HATE that one!!

#5846 - 02/28/02 12:27 AM Re: I'm new.....
munch_5150 Offline
veteran

Loc: Stamford, CT USA
That skill will come with practice. Do you have bangs? I do and whenever I get hair caught under the skirt, I have trouble clearing. Good luck and dive as often as you can!

#5847 - 02/28/02 06:27 AM Re: I'm new.....
Scuba_Cool Offline
avid diver

Yeah, I have bangs,and it does make it a little harder. But after I spend some more time in the pool, I'm going to spend as much time (without over doing it)diving and trying to get omfertable with it. Thanx again for all your help guys. It really means alot to me.
Elizabeth

#5848 - 04/08/02 12:17 AM Re: I'm new.....
scuba1066 Offline
veteran

Loc: Oneida, NY
Hi,
Mask clearing gives lots of students (and divers) anxiety. PRACTICE is the key - its a much needed skill, so if you are not comfortable with it - work on it until you are! Good luck!

#5849 - 05/11/02 06:48 PM Re: I'm new.....
mike098 Offline
new diver

Loc: Brooklyn, N.Y.
hey. i'm 13 and i just finished open water I in April. It was a blast. I live in New York so we dived in very cold water(about 55 degrees). when diving in cold water we had to wear a hood and mits. this meant that every time we took off the mask or let water into it we had to fix the hood and put it over the skirt of the mask. doing this with the mits is awfull. I sort of got better at it but it is hard.

#5850 - 06/18/08 09:06 AM Re: I'm new..... [Re: foxxfire]
johnny88 Offline
new diver

hey ya'll im new to the scuba deal, anybody from Virginia Beach area?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BillL, BobG, Clarke, Mel