Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#5741 - 12/04/01 07:51 PM Employment
wfo bill Offline
new diver

Loc: Middleton, MA USA
Can a person make a living being a diving instructor and working at a dive shop? I know it would be hard in Massachuetts; but what about Florida?

#5742 - 12/06/01 02:52 PM Re: Employment
Rebecca Offline
veteran

Sure they can... I do

#5743 - 12/15/01 08:52 AM Re: Employment
hgerhard Offline
new diver

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
I am considering taking a position at a shop in Florida. How much should I expect in salary for a position that entails retail, boat, and instructor activities. Looking for a ballpark figure.

#5744 - 12/17/01 10:29 PM Re: Employment
Mel Offline
veteran

Loc: Irvine, CA USA
Hi Guys,

For example. We are in So Cal and we offer 30K+ base to start plus full medical and dental after 90 day probation and 100% of your classes.

The thing we LOVE to see in our Instructors is a willingness to do the job that is necessary at the time. We are very blessed to have a terrific team of people who get this done for us.

What most shops don't like to see is an instructor with the attitude that everything except water time with divers is a bore.

If you honestly feel this way, emphasize your willingness to do whatever job that you are trained to do and that your employer needs and have an equally good attitude about vip-ing a tank, teaching a class or selling a snorkel to a mom and her kids heading off to hawaii.

Hope this helps & good luck!

#5745 - 02/15/02 08:29 AM Re: Employment
foxxfire Offline
avid diver

Loc: nyc
My sig. other does; he works out of a dive shop running scuba trips, doing retail and teaching; he's been doing this for about 6 months and totally loves it; it was a career change for him, after like 15 years in retail.

Having just visited him not too long ago, what struck me (having not seen him in this "life" before) was that he does everything with about equal enthusiasm; afterall, he gets to be around divers all day, whether they're on land or under water....

#5746 - 03/02/02 12:55 AM Re: Employment
scuba1066 Offline
veteran

Loc: Oneida, NY
Hi,
What kind of annual salary would a CSR make on a SCUBA Internet order desk vs a retail scuba clerk? I currently live in NY and am seeking to relocate to the Deer Field Beach or mid to south FLA and have 16 yrs of sales experience. What can I hope to earn working FT i the scuba business? Is $30k a realistic salary?

#5747 - 03/07/02 10:28 PM Re: Employment
Mel Offline
veteran

Loc: Irvine, CA USA
Hi scuba1066,

I wish you were heading out to So Cal. I am hiring now. Yes, 30K is a minimum base and also we offer medical, dental and a 401K. I've seen your posts and already know you have it going on.

One thing you should know, though, at least for us, there is not really a straight web order desk job. For example, Rebecca manages a retail store and also does classes. All the Instructors around here wears a couple of hats: gear assembly for our web ordering customers is done by instructors, as are emails, walk in retail customers who need an air fill or whatever. I'm not sure anyone offers a straight order desk job for Instructors.

Hope this helps and I wish you a move with no pulled muscles.

Best Regards,
Mel

#5748 - 03/24/02 06:32 AM Re: Employment
scuba1066 Offline
veteran

Hahaha,
Thanks, but its FLA that we are seeking....East Coast, we think. Going down in December 2002 to vacation and dive! Anyone interested in my resume plse e-mail me at: murban@twcny.rr.com
I have over 16 yrs in sales experience as well as EMT and medical experience in a hospital setting (which helps in exergency CPR situations, etc.) Thanks all!

#5749 - 03/25/02 07:51 PM Re: Employment
scuba1066 Offline
veteran

Gee Mel,
Thanks for the kind words! However, there is much I don't know about diving - and I firmly believe just when one thinks he knows it all - he's sunk (no pun intended)!

Moderator:  BobG, Mel