Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#566 - 05/07/01 06:42 PM Re: Please help me!! :)
Mac8 Offline
veteran

If I can take a moment and whack the bees nest I would like to point out a few things in regards to Williams post. First you mentioned that you will talk scuba instructor about your gear. SO WHAT? I know alot of instructors, most of them good instructors, some of them great instructors and alot of whom dont know jack about gear. You also state that all the gear is assembled by these instructors. No instructor class I have ever heard of included a factory authorized repair seminar. Yes they do understand the basics of how gear works but unless they work in the retail section of a dive shop, most instructors could not tell you the difference between an Oasis, Blizzard, Imprex, Micra Adj, Maximus, Apeks TX100, Titan LX Supreme, Cousteau, Mark 20 G250, T1, Ruby, Voltrex, or the Mark 20 S600. Anyone with enough money can become an instructor, but that does not make them an authority on the different types of diver gear.

Secondly, this is a direct quote from the Sherwood (a brand that diversdiscount.com carries) 2001 product catalog...
"Authorized Sherwood Scuba dealers do not sell via mail order."
And as we all know you must be an authorized Sherwood Scuba dealer in order to provide a valid warranty with any product sold.

#567 - 05/09/01 03:03 AM Re: Please help me!! :)
scuba1066 Offline
veteran

Loc: Oneida, NY
Hi,
Just a word of caution on buying via the Internet...I purchased a tank via a mail order firm in Feb 2001 from a firm (no names here) and just found out when I went for my 1st fill (from my local dive shop) that these cylinders have had problems and now I am going to have to have whats called a VISUAL PLUS inspection ($20) evey year to get THAT particular tank filled. Of couse, when I contacted the mail order firm and informed them of this - they said, "Thats not true." Of course, I never heard them say "You can return it for a full refund, if you like." Bottom line - I'm stuck with a 'problem' tank that was purchased brand new, and I might add, at NO cost saving vs buying one from my local shop. BE WARNED!

#568 - 05/12/01 09:46 AM Re: Please help me!! :)
Sleepingcat1 Offline
just got here

Loc: East Hartford,Ct. USA
I agree with the statement of using your local shop. Not only must they be competitive with other stores in the area,they often have the training programs that will enable you to get better.
I did the out of town purchase of some stuff and found out the the local shop had the same products for about 10% cheaper and any questions that I have had were answered to my satisfaction.
They also have a travel agent associated with the that has had a couple of super deals on short notice dive trips to Bonaire, Aruba, the Keys,Grand Cayman, and our latest St.Johns. she has had first hand experience with hotels, operators and most destinations.
Plus,if you ever have a question about your product,who are you gonna get a direct answer from? The local guy must keep his customers happy or he is done.
hope this helps.
Jim P

#569 - 05/12/01 03:14 PM Re: Please help me!! :)
Rebecca Offline
veteran

The scuba Instructors at divers discount are very knowledgeable. We know about all different types of brands and styles of equipment. We have all been to "factory authorized repair seminars" I donít like to brag but this post made me a little annoyed. The instructors that we speak of here are special instructors not the guy down the street who claims to have gone through a dive course. All of us are very good at what we do, HELPING THE CUSTOMER GET WHAT IS GOOD FOR HIS PURPOSE. We donít work on commission, and we are great at setting up and testing the equipment.
As for the remark about the Sherwood warranty, you are mistaken. If you are concerned about this please take a minute and call Sherwood to be sure. All of the products we sell come with a full manufacture warranty.
As for the post about "using expertise and time of your local store" I donít understand what this has to do with anything. If I go to Wal-Mart and the man at the door hands me a cart does that mean I am obligated to buy the tires at Wal-Mart? GIVE ME A BREAK! You are there for your time and expertise, just as I am. Only difference is you save hard earned money shopping with me. And guess what.... if you donít, BUY IT FROM THEM! (or get 150% price protection) If the stores have a problem with that they need to lower their prices.

#570 - 05/13/01 08:36 PM Re: Please help me!! :)
Mac8 Offline
veteran

Rebecca there is an ass load of difference between handing someone a cart and saying have a nice day, and spending anywhere from 1-3 hours of my day talking to someone about the various gear we offer, how they work and what will work best for them, and then having that person go home and internet shop. My boss just paid me for three hours of his and my time, to stand around and TALK with someone? Does that make a little more sense in this context? Should he have to pay for me standing around talking when there is service work to do? Or when there is cleaning to do, or other customers to wait on?

#571 - 05/14/01 01:36 PM Re: Please help me!! :)
Toothpickman Offline
veteran

Rebecca I understand your point but don't insult us by comparing a dive shop to wal-mart.
quote:
Originally posted by Rebecca:

As for the post about "using expertise and time of your local store" I donít understand what this has to do with anything. If I go to Wal-Mart and the man at the door hands me a cart does that mean I am obligated to buy the tires at Wal-Mart? GIVE ME A BREAK! You are there for your time and expertise, just as I am. Only difference is you save hard earned money shopping with me. And guess what.... if you donít, BUY IT FROM THEM! (or get 150% price protection) If the stores have a problem with that they need to lower their prices.

Also I have found that my dive store is nearly the same prices as online shops. I just don't see why I would want to buy from an online shop where you DO loose the personal aspect of the sale with no benifit. If it is that much cheaper then yes it is a good thing. But it isn't cheaper, at least for me.

#572 - 05/15/01 02:39 PM Re: Please help me!! :)
Hyperjoe Offline
veteran

Loc: Mayfield Hts
Stated from above, and the just of what I see posted much on this site.

<b>"I just don't see why I would want to buy from an online shop where you Do loose the personal aspect of the sale with no benefit"</b>

This is not a valid argument. If rebecca does work for a dive shop, and this is so, then we have not lost anything, as far as "the personal aspect". Who do you think you've been talking too? She can answer questions as easy as your local store, and maybe better, being that she has no bias as a storeowner.

She has stated that she works without commission and this is a plus in determining whether she is of a trusting source.

Look, if you like your dive shop, then go and buy from them. It's a simple choice, both having benefits either way. This is the nature of a choice, it causes one to weight in light of options. This business of "only the corner Dive shop" is fallacious in many ways. Rebecca does the best she can, and its a shame that some folks here have nothing to do but to ruin a good thing. I guess there may be an ulterior motive...hmm? People lets move on with this business we call DIVING, eh?

-Hyper

[This message has been edited by Hyperjoe (edited 05-15-2001).]

#573 - 05/21/01 10:52 PM Re: Please help me!! :)
SpawnFE Offline
avid diver

Loc: Crestview, Florida, USA
I have to say that I really don't agree with the "stay loyal to your local Dive Shop" idea. I saved over $1000.00 by buying online. Did I look at some of these products in a dive shop first? Some. What this boils down to though is can you afford to pay extra for equipment? I can't. I wish I could, then I wouldn't worry about little things like price. I still have a favorite dive shop. I will still use them to get new certifications and some equipment like tanks and wetsuits. But my wallet is not very deep and I have to get the most for my money. Just because you frequent a certain dive shop doesn't mean you "owe" them your hard earned cash. Everyones situation is different. My purchases were astronomically cheaper to buy online. Maybe where you are is different.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BillL, BobG, Clarke, Mel, Reggie