Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#556 - 04/26/01 01:37 PM Please help me!! :)
Frances Offline
avid diver

I now know all of the equipment I need to scuba dive but what are the costs?? If you could tell em the costs of these items I would be very grateful..
Mask-
Snorkle-
Fins-
BCD-
tank-
regulator-
weights-
pressure gauge-

#557 - 04/26/01 11:15 PM Re: Please help me!! :)
bpadivers Offline
veteran

Loc: Roswell, NM
Depends on the quality of what you want. Each person is different. You could buy stuff online and hope it works, void the warranty, but get a good price, or go to a dive shop and try it before you buy it.

My costs were, and I was on a budget for the most part

Zeagle scout BCD $325
Body glove wetsuit $160
Mares mask $68.00
Scubapro Snorkle $35.00
Twin Jet Fins $161.00 (There are plenty of way cheaper fins)
Deep See boots $44.00
Gardening gloves $5.00

I have always rented my regulators, but will be buying one soon and I think that will cost me the most. Can someone recomend me a cheap but good regulator and the best place to buy it?

#558 - 04/27/01 03:06 AM Re: Please help me!! :)
scuba1066 Offline
veteran

Loc: Oneida, NY
Here's about what you can figure on for good, quality gear......for a a great 'low budget' reg that passed all the Rodale's SCUBA magazine test reports, in its class for what is considered a 'budget regulator' I chose the Aqua Lung Titan reg, cost $208 and breathes beautifully, and there are Mares regs for $200 that are great too....anyway, this is about what you can figure on:

BC $300-400
Mask $50
Snorkel $20-25
Fins $50-80
Knife $30-80
Regulator $200 and up
Octopus $75-100
Neoprene boots (if you need them) $25-30
Neoprene Gloves $30
Wetsuit $250+ new (I bought a great used one for $80!)
SPG $ 150
Weightbelt $7 (w/o weights)
Weights add about $2.50 per lb

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Rebecca (edited 04-30-2001).]

#559 - 05/03/01 04:04 PM Re: Please help me!! :)
William Offline
veteran

Loc: Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, US...
bpa divers is wellintentioned, but VERY INCORRECT. For example, when you contact Divers Discount.com to purchase gear, you get to speak with a scuba instructor concerning gear choices. None of the instructors are on commission, so they are there to get you the gear for the type of diving you want to do, and not the gear that has the hightest commission. Plus, all gear comes with a manufacturer's warranty. Not to mention, that all gear is also assembled and tested by instructors before being shipped to you. When you add this all up with a 30 day money back guarantee, and the obvious advantage of a much more reasonable price, you can't beat it.

[This message has been edited by William (edited 05-03-2001).]

#560 - 05/05/01 06:15 PM Re: Please help me!! :)
scuba1066 Offline
veteran

Loc: Oneida, NY
Rebecca,
Where was I 'Incorrect?'

#561 - 05/06/01 08:12 AM Re: Please help me!! :)
Toothpickman Offline
veteran

I don't think you were wrong, you really can't be with a suggestion like this. Particularly when giving such estimates.

#562 - 05/07/01 02:50 PM Re: Please help me!! :)
Rebecca Offline
veteran

Hey!! where did I come into this???

quote:
Originally posted by scuba1066:
Rebecca,
Where was I 'Incorrect?'

#563 - 05/07/01 02:55 PM Re: Please help me!! :)
Toothpickman Offline
veteran

quote:
Originally posted by Rebecca:
Hey!! where did I come into this???

you didn't he meant william

#564 - 05/07/01 04:01 PM Re: Please help me!! :)
TravelDave Offline
avid diver

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
Actually, he was referring to the fact that Rebecca edited his message above listing prices.

By the way, I've seen a couple of message threads debating whether people should be buying off of the internet. My philosopy is: If you use your local store's expertise and time to determine the item you want to purchase, you shouldn't purchase that same item online just to save a little cash. Consider the premium you are paying as paying for the store's expertise. If you don't rely on the store to determine what to purchase (i.e. you researched it on your own), you should feel free to purchase from whoever you want to use.

Dave

quote:
Originally posted by Toothpickman:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rebecca:
[b]Hey!! where did I come into this???

you didn't he meant william

[/B][/QUOTE]

#565 - 05/07/01 06:19 PM Re: Please help me!! :)
TexasMike Offline
veteran

quote:
Originally posted by TravelDave:
By the way, I've seen a couple of message threads debating whether people should be buying off of the internet. My philosopy is: If you use your local store's expertise and time to determine the item you want to purchase, you shouldn't purchase that same item online just to save a little cash.

I definitely agree with this. My experience with supporting my favorite shop has been extension of "off the cuff" credit, deals on classes, and chances to try out some of the inovative gear for free. Not to mention getting a heads up on good deals for blue water trips.

Essentially, we have become friends and they trust me, knowing that I will take care of items loaned out to me and that I will whole heartedly promote their shop.

(If you are in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and want to know who this shop is, please e-mail me.)

--TexasMike
--ScubaDillo diver #119

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BillL, BobG, Clarke, Mel, Reggie