Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#5447 - 06/09/01 07:00 PM U.S. Divers Arctic Regulator
monkman69 Offline
new diver

Loc: st louis mo
Does anyone use or know anything about this reg? i have a chance to get one but cant find anything about it?!

#5448 - 06/11/01 02:13 PM Re: U.S. Divers Arctic Regulator
TexasMike Offline
veteran

What will your diving profiles be (depth, type of diving, environment, etc)???

This can help us formulate an answer.

Also, for more opinions, post your question(s) on www.scubaboard.com .

#5449 - 06/11/01 03:42 PM Re: U.S. Divers Arctic Regulator
jmsdiver Offline
veteran

Loc: USA
The US Divers Arctic regulator is a great reg for diving in colder water (we're talking like 50 degrees F and under generally). It was made specifically for ice diving and similar environments. If you're looking for a reliable cold water reg, that is the one to buy. If you intend on diving in a variety of diving conditions, I would recommend a different reg with an environmental pack and second stage user adjustments.

regards

#5450 - 06/11/01 08:08 PM Re: U.S. Divers Arctic Regulator
Mac8 Offline
veteran

jmsdiver, why would you recommend a different reg if he was diving a variety of conditions? I agree there are better cold water regs out there, I was just wondering your take on it.

#5451 - 06/14/01 04:24 AM Re: U.S. Divers Arctic Regulator
jmsdiver Offline
veteran

Loc: USA
...if he is already diving in different conditions....?

hmmm, I don't see any reference to the type of diving monkman is doing in his original post, so you have me somewhat perplexed.

Personally, I like the Scubapro/Atomic line of regs (read mk20, G250) because of the ease of breathing, adjustability, and reliability in the many different conditions that I dive in regularly. However, Ocean Reef makes a good regulator for their Neptune II full face as well. So, hey, I think it boils down to personal need and preference.

But, then again, monkman was asking about an Arctic reg. So, monk, check out www.usdivers.com, talk to local divers and stores, and do a search on the internet and look on discussion boards. There's a lot of info out there; the reg has been around a long time and is still made.

Just my two cents worth...

#7724 - 06/05/09 03:38 PM Re: U.S. Divers Arctic Regulator [Re: Mac8]
BobG Offline
veteran

Loc: Irvine, CA
The reg was designed for ice diving but is really not a lot different from the regs USD put out at the time for general recreational diving. When NOAA did their regulator testing for regs to be used by the Antartic Program, they found the USD Artic had a 57% failure rate due to freezing up. Far and away the most successful of the regs tested (not including the full faced, AGA) was the Sherwood Maximum. That is also the regulator they purchased and has been in use by them ever since.

Moderator:  BillL, BobG, Clarke, Mel