Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5336 - 05/01/01 01:42 AM Major Anxiety . . Need all points of view
radecatur Offline
new diver

Loc: San Jose, Ca
Hey all,
I must say I got the idea stuck in my head to get certified. However, after hopping up on the net and doing some research, ive seen a ton of things that are easily making me want to change my mind. So, now i figure its best to get into an interactive discussion where the information is not so "one-sided". a growing list of concerns that i was hoping could be addressed are:
DCI: how often does it occur? have you had it? if so how many time and how many dives have you had.
Unexplained DCI: Again, same questions as above.
Gear Failures: Same questions.
Free Flow: Is it an easy situation to deal with?

and a general newbie question: The premise of breathing underwater and the brains "programming" to say "thats not right", is that easy to get past once you've done it a few times. Say in a pool?
I know it sounds like im A. retentative, well probably true. but I really really do want to learn to dive.
i guess i just need some re-assurances at this point.

Thanks To all
-Rich

#5337 - 05/01/01 07:56 AM Re: Major Anxiety . . Need all points of view
EricF Offline
veteran

Loc: CA
Relax; diving is fun easy and enjoyable. I have been diving and teaching respectfully for over 15 years. I have never had a problem with DCI or unexplained DCI. Why because I stayed with in the limits (you will learn this in your upcoming class!!!) You have a greater chance willing the lottery while getting hit by lighting!! Gear problems are typically rare but a free flowing regulator sometimes happens. It normally happens on the surface, prior to your dive, but guess what. Your awesome scuba instructor will show you how to deal with that issue. Once you try scuba you will be amazed at how easy it is. Donít worry, breathing underwater will become normal and maybe, just maybe it will change your life. So donít worry, Call your local Scuba retailer and speak with an instructor. Find an instructor that you feel comfortable with and someone how addresses your concerns. Happy diving!!

#5338 - 05/02/01 08:48 PM Re: Major Anxiety . . Need all points of view
TexasMike Offline
veteran

What Eric said

If you can be comfortable breathing with a snorkle while swimming on the surface, you can scuba.

If you keep your gear in top shape by maintaining it properly and taking it it for the annual checkups suggested by the manufacterers, the chance of gear failure will be very very low indeed.

One thing I did before taking the certification plunge was do a "discover diving" class. This usually is very inexpensive (local shops around here charge $40 or less) chance to actually put on some gear and see if you like it. And beleive me if you try it, you are most likely going to be hooked for life. So ask your local shop to see if they offer such a class.

And most of all, HAVE LOTS OF FUN!!!

--Texas Mike

#5339 - 05/02/01 11:27 PM Re: Major Anxiety . . Need all points of view
radecatur Offline
new diver

Thanks Guys,
Ive signed up for a class starting the 14th of this month and my ocean dives are on the 2/3 and 9/10 of next month. Ill let you know what the out come is. Well if you really want to know.

Again, Thanks. Exactly what i needed to hear at this point.

-Rich

#5340 - 05/04/01 12:13 AM Re: Major Anxiety . . Need all points of view
Rebecca Offline
veteran

We would love to know how it went!

#5341 - 05/03/01 06:06 PM Re: Major Anxiety . . Need all points of view
scuba1066 Offline
veteran

Loc: Oneida, NY
Hi,
I agree with all above - I recently just finished my 8 wk course as well. I had many concerns too and it was scary at first - but, like all things, the more that you DO it, the better you get, and the more comfortable you get. Don't let anyone kid you - NO one in my class (men or women) didn't have fears and concerns as well - its natural. You have to learn to walk before you can run. Diving gear is extremely reliable, just be sure to bring your gear in annually for check-ups and routine maintenance. Freeflowing isn't a big deal - your teacher will teach you an easy, effective emergency task to deal with that problem - in all of 10 minutes. You will still have plenty of air available to ascend. When you finish your course, you'll look back and say "I really DID it." You CAN do it! Go for it! Study hard and apply yourself and you'll do fine! I tend to be A. retentive as well - so don't feel bad. Smart people do their homework and research FIRST before taking up ANY new endeavor! Good luck! 8-o

#5342 - 05/11/01 06:12 PM Re: Major Anxiety . . Need all points of view
korova Offline
avid diver

Loc: Elmira-Corning Area (NY)
I too had the same fears, which were resolved through my dive instructor. I signed up for a SSI Open Water course about 1 month ago and have had no problem adjusting. I did request that my Instructor teach the pool lessons in the open water though, I felt I could better adjust to learning all the techniques in the same water I'd be diving. Also, as I was researching this big adventure called Scuba diving. I learned of the D.I.R (Doing It Right) system. In my opinion It's the way to go. Even if you're only planning to be a recreational diver. I plan to take a D.I.R fundamentals class after I receive my C-Card next week. Check out www.halcyon.net and www.gue.net

#5343 - 05/11/01 06:16 PM Re: Major Anxiety . . Need all points of view
korova Offline
avid diver

Loc: Elmira-Corning Area (NY)
Sorry It's www.gue.com

#5344 - 05/22/01 01:30 AM Re: Major Anxiety . . Need all points of view
radecatur Offline
new diver

To all!
I must thank you for your positive words. While i havent done my ocean dives yet, i spent my first 45 minutes underwater tonight. What an awesome experience it was. The concerns i mentioned earlier have all been put to rest.
Again, thank you so much. Ill post back and let you know how the ocean dives went.

-=Rich=-

#5345 - 05/22/01 03:21 PM Re: Major Anxiety . . Need all points of view
daver Offline
veteran

Loc: Overland Park, KS USA
radecatur,

Don't worry too much about breathing underwater its just like in air, breath in, breath out. You'll find it pretty cool like i did i'm sure.
They tell you alot of scary stuff durring the classes and in the book. Don't worry about too much of it. Like everyone else said your instructor will show you how to deal with every possible situation. If you don't enjoy your ceritification dives, don't worry about it. Lots of people don't cause they make you do alot of skills you don't have to do. My mom hated them cause she struggled a little, but i had a great time and didn't have any trouble. Diving is cool.

-Dave in KC

#5346 - 05/23/01 04:03 PM Re: Major Anxiety . . Need all points of view
divin4fun Offline
just got here

Loc: blackwood new jersey U.S.A.
hey buddy dont fret actually the cases of dci are rare compared to all the divers diving around the world and as long as you follow the rules you probably never will have a run in with it . Get The Best Equiptment and maintain it have your regulator serviced yearly.As you become more acustomed to the new experience things will get easier Everyone had some degree of fear when they started so relax follow the rules and remember diving is supposed to be fun take care

#5347 - 06/28/01 05:35 PM Re: Major Anxiety . . Need all points of view
radecatur Offline
new diver

Hey all!
as promised, here is my update. The ocean dives went fairly well. One thing i forgot to mention earlier is that i have had a hip replacement in december of 2k. So as it stands now i have one good hip and one left to replace. So with that being said, The ocean dives got dragged out by an extra week because i would get 2 or 3 dives in each saturday, and when i would wake up on sunday, my bad hip would be in some serious pain. But all eventually worked out. I just got my C-Card today!!! Wahooo!!!!!!!
So thanks for the motivation. And if anyone ever wants to dive in monterey, drop me a line. Id be glad to go out. Kelp is Cool!

#5348 - 06/28/01 07:22 PM Re: Major Anxiety . . Need all points of view
dolphin Offline
new diver

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Way to go!! I've got bad knees, so I can relate to only diving one day at a time, but wasn't it fantastic! People who never try, don't understand what they're missing. I'm glad you took the plunge! Have Fun - Get Wet!!!

#5349 - 06/29/01 03:45 PM Re: Major Anxiety . . Need all points of view
Hyperjoe Offline
veteran

Loc: Mayfield Hts
AWSOME!!!!! Enjoy Diving!!!!

"Be" Safe, and safe you will be!

-hyper

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BillL, BobG, Clarke, Mel