Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#5303 - 04/26/01 06:42 AM Opinion of scuba certification at young ages
Toothpickman Offline
veteran

What is your opinion of the new 10 year old certification that many diving organizations are offering? Do you think that a 10 year old can make a competant diver? What age (older or younger) do you think should be the youngest a diver should be before they can be certified?

#5304 - 04/26/01 10:22 AM Re: Opinion of scuba certification at young ages
nobends Offline
veteran

Loc: NY,NY, USA
Boy, that really has to depend on the 10 year old right? We place a limit on driving ages so that young drivers aren't a danger to themselves or to others. I guess the same should hold true to diving right?

If a 10year old can truly understand the risks/rewards associated with diving, both to themselves and to their buddies, then why not?

#5305 - 04/26/01 06:36 PM Re: Opinion of scuba certification at young ages
Rebecca Offline
veteran

It totally depends on the 10 year old. I have taught some who are bigger than me and some who catch on to the dive tables quicker than an adult. But there are also those who physically can't handle the equipment or the academic part of the class.
From my experience 14 is a pretty good age to start. (Then again who knows????)

#5306 - 04/27/01 02:52 AM Re: Opinion of scuba certification at young ages
Sandshark Offline
new diver

Loc: Shelburne Falls, Ma. US.
I don't believe that they should be certified that young. Granted, there are kids who probably could do better than some adults but, that's not the total picture. To me, I think that this is too young of an age. If kids 10 years old were old enough to be certified for diving, then why can't they get a license to drive a car? Or even a mo-ped? In my opionion, I don't think that the maturity is there.

Sandshark

#5307 - 04/29/01 12:29 AM Re: Opinion of scuba certification at young ages
SHARK444 Offline
avid diver

Loc: Mason City IA 50401
It's like the saying goes, age shouldn't matter. As long as the person is enthusiastic about the sport has the ability to learn, pays attention, and can follow the directions they should be able to scuba dive. We as divers are supposed to be encouraging the younger generation to take up our sport. I'd rather see a ten year old diving into the water than see hiim/her diving into drugs.

#5308 - 05/08/01 02:03 AM Re: Opinion of scuba certification at young ages
badmamerjamer Offline
avid diver

Loc: austin,tx,usa
i think we should keep in mind that its not going to be the 10y.o. out there by themselves. the ability of the child + the confidence of the guardian of that child should be more at issue.

#5309 - 05/08/01 10:24 AM Re: Opinion of scuba certification at young ages
Toothpickman Offline
veteran

I agree with badmamerjamer, though I think age DOES matter, it is the same with driving, the age limit is set for all people even though some may be ready to drive earlier most are not. In diving this is more prevelent because of the physical demands. In this case a parent or gaurdian is a very good idea to have along.
and shark...
"We as divers are supposed to be encouraging the younger generation to take up our sport. I'd rather see a ten year old diving into the water than see hiim/her diving into drugs. "
I hardly think that diving and drugs have a large correlation. There are also a lot of other things to keep them off drugs.

#5310 - 05/08/01 08:09 PM Re: Opinion of scuba certification at young ages
rstone Offline
veteran

Loc: Jacksonville, FL USA
Personally as a instructor i have no problem with children getting certified. If they are able to pass the academic exams / confined and open water skills im more then happy to certify them. If they cant they dont get certified just like any adult.

The question should be is a parent / legal guardian qualified enough to take responsibilty for themselves and a child underwater. Ive seen many adults who can barely take responsibilty ie: sticking with your buddy, monitoring your buddies air, etc. for there buddy let alone a child.
Not to mention there is no requirement for the supervising adult to know how to even rescue someone in need of help. Personally i think there should be requirements of the adult supervising the child.

Just remember that diving just like anything else can be dangerious, snow skiing, water skiing, driving in a car, etc and we dont put all these requirements on them for children, Statistically diving is very safe if we follow the rules.

#5311 - 05/09/01 05:37 AM Re: Opinion of scuba certification at young ages
Toothpickman Offline
veteran

statistically almost anything is safe if you follow the rules. But I do agree on more requirements on the supervising diver

#5312 - 05/09/01 08:31 PM Re: Opinion of scuba certification at young ages
davidsgoindowndeep Offline
new diver

Loc: cairns australia
i am only 15 and i only just got certified my personal opinion is that 10 is way to young becouse a 10yo is not mature enogh to cope with emergancies +not physicly mature enogh to carry all the gear thet is needed in a full kit
13 to 14 is a more realistic age

david watson

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BobG, Mel