Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#7760 - 09/27/09 09:12 PM mask clearing
lernintofly Offline
just got here

I just finished with my pool dives and fixing to go to the open water. I am having a problem with the mask clearing. I guess I breath through my nose more than I thought but after swimming around under water for a while I finally choked my way through it. Any tips on learning to breath just through my mouth so I can get past this?
Thanks

#7762 - 09/28/09 11:26 AM Re: mask clearing [Re: lernintofly]
BillL Offline
veteran

Loc: So. California, USA
Practice breathing from your snorkel or regulator with your face in the water without a mask on. You can pinch your nose if you need to, then let go and see if you can get comfortable breathing with your face in the water and no mask. Take your time and practice this until it does not bother you any longer. Then try the mask again.

#37410 - 06/14/12 10:14 AM Re: mask clearing [Re: BillL]
oc3an_h2o Offline
new diver

Loc: East Coast, MD
Hello, I have a similar issue. Although, no problems getting comfortable breathing w/masks. I have been given 5 ..yes five different masks and told not to buy my own until I am used to one of these 5.
I thought that this is part of personal gear w/snorkels and fins.
How does one get used to and get comfortable with A mask when you can't even get comfortable or get used to 5?

#37411 - 06/15/12 12:23 PM Re: mask clearing [Re: oc3an_h2o]
BobG Offline
veteran

Loc: Irvine, CA
That's a toughie. And honestly, it sounds as though the problem isn't so much the mask as simply general comfort. Let's start with the basics and go from there. I apologize if you've already been through this but bear with me.

The first thing you want to do is check for over all fit of the mask. Place it on your face without the strap. Inhale and hold your breath. You want it to stick for a few seconds. If you can get 5 seconds or more, it fits. After that try it again with your mouth slightly open. You're simulating having a snorkel or a reg in your mouth. The reason for this is sometimes opening your mouth a bit can increase the size of smile lines on your face or possibly curl your lip a bit breaking the seal on your mask.

If it holds still it fits. The air around you is far less dense than the water you'll be in. So if air doesn't leak in, water won't.

If you find several that fit you can take the time at this point to compare the vision out of each. Don't move your head to look around but rather hold your head steady and look about with your eyes. check your peripheral vision. Check to see if the mask frame hits your nose or does it bother you anywhere?

Once you find a mask that fits the rest is up to you, but the best thing to keep in mind is this... when you are in the water, if it isn't leaking and you can see out of it, quit worrying about it. I know that sounds really simplistic, but its amazing what taking the focus off of your gear and placing it onto your surroundings can do for getting accustomed to using scuba equipment.

#37736 - 06/20/12 09:14 AM Re: mask clearing [Re: BobG]
oc3an_h2o Offline
new diver

Loc: East Coast, MD
Hi Mr.Bob,

Thank you!
Amazing way of advising me the way you did.
No one's quite explained that to me.

From 1 instructor to 1 dive master/masterdiver and 1 diveshop/school owner. I've not heard it as simple as that.
2 LDS ...one was a bit a snooty the 2nd super nice that I bought from both of them anyway. At different times w/in a week.
1st shop got an aqualung, it fitted great after the inhale and hold advise but had a hard time equalising when using it as I had a hard time pinching my nose..there was more space in the nostril's part of the mask. 2nd LDS saw that after I showed it and I picked another from the 2nd place and used it and it fits better being able to pinch or touch my nostrils.
Used it next day and I'm happy with the comfort and fit of it after using it yesterday.

Now what to do w/ the 1st mask..hmm..
Again.Thank you!!!

#51579 - 06/22/12 11:58 AM Re: mask clearing [Re: oc3an_h2o]
BobG Offline
veteran

Loc: Irvine, CA
The 1st mask becomes your back up mask. Keep it in your dive bag. What you'll find is that once you are very comfortable with scuba and all our uncomfortable hear and such that in a pinch when you are forced to use the mask for what ever reason (as opposed to missing a dive or snorkel trip) that suddenly that mask isn't as bad as you remembered. It will never be your favorite, and the nose will remind you why you didn't like it, but it'll beat the heck out of NOT getting to play.

Moderator:  BillL, BobG, Clarke, Mel, Reggie