Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5118 - 01/10/01 12:44 AM Diving with Sharks
Shark Bait Offline
avid diver

Loc: Arizona
Can anyone out there tell me what it is like to dive with sharks?
I would to love to here about some shark diving experiences.
Has anyone seen great whites?

#5119 - 01/09/01 05:10 PM Re: Diving with Sharks
Deep Diver 2 Offline
avid diver

Loc: Mt. Pleasant SC, US
The only sharks I have been around while diving was nurse sharke. They were aboue 5ft away from me and they were about 7ft long under a piece os metal from a suken ship. I can't explin the felling. It's like you are scared but you know they won't hurt you but you are also excited. I haven't seen a Great White but I would like to see one. If you come around Charleston SC e-mail me!

#5120 - 01/10/01 09:12 AM Re: Diving with Sharks
ErieDiver Offline
avid diver

Loc: Sheffield Lake, OH, USA
I have never been on a "Shark Dive" so all of my encounters have been wild. My most memorable was actually while snorkeling Looe Key in Florida. We were at the edge of a reef when an 8 foot Caribbean Reef Shark came right up to us. He circled a few times and then swam so close that I could feel the current from his tail. After his curiosity was satisfied (about 1 minute later) he just swam off. He was so close that I could have touched him, although I didn't since I am not a big fan of huge scars. It was an awesome experience. I was a little nervous because he was circling and coming so close but it was great.

#5121 - 01/11/01 12:55 AM Re: Diving with Sharks
Beefcake Offline
avid diver

Loc: London
My qualifying dives for PADI Openwater diver were done in shark infested waters off the west coast of South Africa. A place called Aliwal Shoal, a reef about 5km out to sea off the Umkomaas coast. The first time we saw sharks we gave them an impressive display of how fast we could swim in the opposite direction, after that we settled a little and on later dives could count as many as 34 Ragged tooth Sharks at any one given time. Some of them are curious and do come close to have a look but they generally could not be bothered with divers and just lurk around in their own territory. It was AWESOME and it gave me a new respect for the sea !!! My last dives were three weeks ago with dolphins at a re-hab centre on the Red Sea in Israel, much less stressful but I'll jump into the shark waters again feeling quite confident !!!

#5122 - 01/16/01 11:29 AM Re: Diving with Sharks
Shark Bait Offline
avid diver

Loc: Arizona
quote:
Originally posted by Beefcake:

Beefcake, thanks for the story! It sounds like your experiences have been really awesome.

My qualifying dives for PADI Openwater diver were done in shark infested waters off the west coast of South Africa. A place called Aliwal Shoal, a reef about 5km out to sea off the Umkomaas coast. The first time we saw sharks we gave them an impressive display of how fast we could swim in the opposite direction, after that we settled a little and on later dives could count as many as 34 Ragged tooth Sharks at any one given time. Some of them are curious and do come close to have a look but they generally could not be bothered with divers and just lurk around in their own territory. It was AWESOME and it gave me a new respect for the sea !!! My last dives were three weeks ago with dolphins at a re-hab centre on the Red Sea in Israel, much less stressful but I'll jump into the shark waters again feeling quite confident !!!

#5123 - 03/09/01 03:59 PM Re: Diving with Sharks
Divebuddie Offline
new diver

Do you know of other places to see nurse sharks? Like maybe, Key Largo?

#5124 - 03/09/01 04:01 PM Re: Diving with Sharks
Divebuddie Offline
new diver

Eriediver have you been to Key Largo? ARe there any sharks there?

#5125 - 03/10/01 05:29 AM Re: Diving with Sharks
Toothpickman Offline
veteran

I have been on both shark dives, and dives in which you just happen across sharks, I feel that you could not simply call the latter the only one "in the wild" because really even in the shark dive sence they are still wild animals. My only expericence with sharks has been in the caribean and the dives were rather fun, but shark dive encounters are really only fun once unless you take on the shark feeder role.

#5126 - 03/10/01 09:19 AM Re: Diving with Sharks
diverdave Offline
new diver

Loc: mobile,al usa
my experience has been that sharks are really more curious than anything else. on my first checkout dive we encountered a 6' nurse shark lying under the bow of an old barge. i think she was as frightened of us as we were of her and she kept her distance. however, my most memorable encounter came last year when i was spearfishing around an old liberty ship at 100'. as i was swimming along looking for fish, a 7' bull shark swam up from behind and "brushed" me. can you say abort dive?? thats exactly what happened. my dive instructor said that it was not unlike a dog sniffing someone it doesn't know. a buddy of mine actually had a bite taken from a snapper on his stringer on that same dive.

[This message has been edited by diverdave (edited 03-10-2001).]

#5127 - 03/14/01 02:19 PM Re: Diving with Sharks
Deep Diver 2 Offline
avid diver

Loc: Mt. Pleasant SC, US
There are nurse sharks in Key Largo. I have seen lots of them.

#5128 - 03/17/01 08:48 PM Re: Diving with Sharks
traveler Offline
avid diver

Loc: Highlands, NJ, USA
Diving in French Polynesia, blacktip and nurse sharks in abundance. I didn't mess with them and they kindly reciprocated. Not a danger. In fact, the locals are amused that anyone would fear these animals.

Now, great whites, that's a horse of a different color, as it were. Haven't had the pleasure <g>.

#5129 - 03/18/01 08:41 AM Re: Diving with Sharks
Deep Blue Offline
avid diver

Loc: west palm beach, florida
I have been diving with almost ever speceis of sharks that live in the tropical climate. Its quit a experince, I would recomend everyone to that loves diving to try it. You will have a whole different outlook on sharks after you notice how gentile and beutiful the creature really is. But at the same time you have to realize you are in there enviroment some you must recpect them. good luck with the sharks.

#5130 - 05/08/01 08:49 PM Re: Diving with Sharks
davidsgoindowndeep Offline
new diver

Loc: cairns australia
i swam with an 8ft white tip at flinn reef
the day after i got certified it came within arms distance but my buddie and i wernt game enough to touch it if you goto cairns go diving with pro dive on the five day live in
but get russel scott as your instructor

david watson 15

#5131 - 05/09/01 01:47 AM Re: Diving with Sharks
scuba_will Offline
avid diver

Loc: visalia, ca
it can definitely get your breathing rate elevated....dove w/white tip reef sharks (4-6 ft) around a cave...you'd be surprised at how timid they are.

#5132 - 05/12/01 09:22 PM Re: Diving with Sharks
mirrgirl Offline
just got here

Loc: San Bernardino, CA, USA
Try Molokini Crater in Maui if possible. My fifth dive ever was there and we saw one gray reef shark and two white tips. It was the most amazing thing on my whole trip! Anyone from Southern Cali email me(21/f)---I need dive buddies!
Carolyn

#5133 - 05/14/01 01:05 PM Re: Diving with Sharks
TravelDave Offline
avid diver

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
There was an article about shark diving in North Carolina in Rodale's Scuba Diving magazine.

Here's the URL:
http://www.scubadiving.com/US/NCsharkdive/

[This message has been edited by TravelDave (edited 05-14-2001).]

#5134 - 05/14/01 09:06 PM Re: Diving with Sharks
rstone Offline
veteran

Loc: Jacksonville, FL USA
Just remember if your hunting where sharks visit that you become part of the food chain when doing so.

#5135 - 05/15/01 10:10 AM Re: Diving with Sharks
TexasMike Offline
veteran

I just got my copy of PADI's Sport Diver (diving?) magazine yesterday. It too has an a good article about diving with sharks.

A copy should be available at major news stands.

#5136 - 05/17/01 09:57 PM Re: Diving with Sharks
TexasMike Offline
veteran

For information about diving with sharks on the North Carolina coast, go to http://www.scubadiving.com/US/NCsharkdive/

#5137 - 05/19/01 08:54 AM Re: Diving with Sharks
meg Offline
new diver

Loc: UK
By simply being "there" with a whitetip shark in the Philippine Islands is heaven! I highly suggest that you must always stay as calm as they are. Sharks are definitely one of the world's beautiful creatures! Enjoy and respect the seas always!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BobG, Mel