Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#509 - 04/24/01 05:14 AM Dive Equipment made in the US..
Stew Offline
new diver

Loc: Canada
Hi,

Does anyone know names of Equipment made in the US? Is Sherwood made in the US?

thanks

#510 - 04/24/01 05:32 AM Re: Dive Equipment made in the US..
SGHOWE Offline
veteran

Loc: Ashton, Maryland, USA
Hi,
Im not sure where Sherwood is made, but my dive buddies and I have a couple of little sayings about them, "sher-wood" be nice if they were a good regulator, or "sher-wood" be nice if it was a Scubapro. Honestly Sherwood's regs won't kill you, but there are much nicer regulators made today. None of sherwoods regs can really compete with any of the better regs from Scubapro, who are made in the USA to the best of my knoledge. My reccommendation would be a Scubapro MK20/G250.
Hope this was helpful,
Take Care,
Sean

#511 - 04/24/01 03:25 PM Re: Dive Equipment made in the US..
scuba1066 Offline
veteran

Loc: Oneida, NY
I agree with Sean 100% - I have friemds who have Sherwood's and they breath hard - they are durable, but breath hard. I am an avid DIR diver (Doing It Right) which does & promotes technical diving (caves, wrecks, etc) and we support Scubapro regs - nice stuff. Apex makes fine regulators too. Be sure to check out Rodale's Scuba magazines' (they are online) Test Reports on Budget regs, Mid-Priced regs and Top-End regs. Their reports have been accurate & helpful!

#512 - 04/26/01 02:23 PM Re: Dive Equipment made in the US..
Rebecca Offline
veteran

I would go with the IDI Seaira It got GREAT reviews from Rodels Magazine and dosen't cost you an arm and a leg either.

#513 - 04/27/01 11:11 PM Re: Dive Equipment made in the US..
korova Offline
avid diver

Loc: Elmira-Corning Area (NY)
What about the Mares Abyss?

#514 - 04/30/01 02:12 PM Re: Dive Equipment made in the US..
Rebecca Offline
veteran

I don't think the Mares is made in the US

#515 - 04/30/01 02:54 PM Re: Dive Equipment made in the US..
rstone Offline
veteran

Loc: Jacksonville, FL USA
Mares is made in Italy

#516 - 05/02/01 07:55 PM Re: Dive Equipment made in the US..
TexasMike Offline
veteran

To answer the original question. Zeagle dive products are made in the USA. (www.zeagle.com)

After trying several setups, and pestering several divemasters, I purchased a Zeagle Ranger BC and ZX/DS-IV regulator. The Ranger BC was one of the few BC's that I have found that is a completely modular system, allowing for a very customized fit and simplicity in upgrading or repairing a specific item. Plus there are tons of other features about this BC that made it a good choice for me. Yes, it is a bit pricier, but after having found 3 local dive shop operators swearing by it (and not BS-ing me into a sale) I think I made a good choice.

The ZX Reg has gotten very good marks from Rodale's and other knowledge sources. I fouund it to breathe very easy and fits both my current and planned style of diving.

Finally, Zeagle products are backed by a LIFETIME warranty. Most others just do 2 years. Warranty is a feature I value highly, so Zeagle defnitely scored points with me.

Want more of my 2-kopeks worth? Feel free to e-mail me.

--TexasMike

#517 - 05/03/01 03:27 PM Re: Dive Equipment made in the US..
William Offline
veteran

Loc: Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, US...
Based on your question, I would assume you are looking for reliability. I can reccommend two great regs that are reasonably priced! The Genesis GS-2000 goes for $279.95 and The TUSA RS-130 for about $239.95. Both give you a lifetime warranty, INCLUDING PARTS!!. If the mfg. is willing to pay for the parts, you can bet they are reliable. Plus, you save a substantial amount on your yearly maintenance, since you don't have to pay for the parts.

#518 - 05/11/01 05:52 PM Re: Dive Equipment made in the US..
korova Offline
avid diver

Loc: Elmira-Corning Area (NY)
I would consider either Scubapro or my choice Mares regulators. As far as BC's, in my opinion Halcyon is the best. You can do any type of diving imaginable with this BC system. Quality is outstanding.

#519 - 05/31/01 07:43 PM Re: Dive Equipment made in the US..
SpawnFE Offline
avid diver

Loc: Crestview, Florida, USA
I believe you are trying to "buy American". Good for you. I didn't realize that Mares was made in Italy until it was to late. I would have bought the Zeagle Ranger. I have the Mares syncropower tech and it is an awesome bc but the Ranger is up there with it plus it is made in the USA. It doesn't sport the real cloth Ranger Tab anymore (it is plastic) but it was designed for the military so you know it is tough.

Gary
SSgt, USAF

#520 - 06/02/01 09:24 AM Re: Dive Equipment made in the US..
Hybrid8 Offline
veteran

Loc: Toronto, Canada
It amazes me that people's patriotism goes so far as to pushing them into buying inferior products simply because they're stamped with "MADE IN USA." I try to avoid any goods which I don't know for a fact are top-notch products, regardless of where they're made. If a company sounds-off too much about "MADE IN USA" it sets off some alarms. If they have to push that fact, chance are it's not a very well engineered or constructed product that can stand on its own.

I gather it's a different mentality and it's why companies like Chrysler, Ford, and especially GM are still in bussiness, producing all-around the worst automobiles of the past 20 years.

So, if it matters to people... TUSA (Tabata USA) is a Japanese company and their products are made in Taiwan, Japan, etc...

APEKS (not APEX according to someone above who who preaches the DIR cult lines but doesn't know about the kit), is from the UK (their regs are confirmed to be made in-house, in the UK, check specifics on BCDs for possible outsourcing of components)

Mares, Dacor and Cressi-Sub are Italian.

It doesn't take long to find corporate web pages and figure out the origins of a company. To check individual items you may have to send an email or check the actual item.

If you want to buy the best all-around gear, for you, then you will have to broaden your choices beyond the USA. If you just want to buy all-American, then that's fairly simple, but you might end up with less than ideal pieces for your purposes.

Bruno

#521 - 06/02/01 09:30 AM Re: Dive Equipment made in the US..
Hybrid8 Offline
veteran

quote:
Originally posted by William:
I can reccommend two great regs that are reasonably priced!

And surprise surprise, they're both available for purchase online, here!

I don't see you selling Mares or Cressi-Sub or Poseidon or Apeks...

Good message board, even if it gets extremely low traffic. Shame about the constant plugging of only items carried in the scuba.com store. Especially when talking about stuff like the Spare-Air (another thread) when the best thing to do would be to steer everyone away from such a useless piece of junk and on to a real redundant/backup supply.

Bruno

#522 - 06/03/01 09:12 PM Re: Dive Equipment made in the US..
SGHOWE Offline
veteran

SCUBAPRO and Atomic aquatics are american and are probably two of the best reg manufaturers out there.

#523 - 06/04/01 04:22 PM Re: Dive Equipment made in the US..
Mike Offline
avid diver

Loc: tampa, florida, usa
Hybrid8...spoken like a true Canadian..oui?

#524 - 06/04/01 06:06 PM Re: Dive Equipment made in the US..
Hybrid8 Offline
veteran

quote:
Originally posted by SGHOWE:
SCUBAPRO and Atomic aquatics are american and are probably two of the best reg manufaturers out there.

But it's funny the most prominent thing you see on the sites of Atomic and Genesis (other than it looking like one makes regulators for the other) are RECALL NOTICES.

Scubapro, more than many other companies, is multinational, moreso than just for distribution. In any case, their products make a name for themselves based upon their quality and not because the company makes a practise of trumpeting MADE IN USA.

But up there at the top, in the cream of the crop space is also Mares, Apeks and Poseidon, let's not forget that. And all else being equal, if I was going to go into something blind, I would choose either of those three over aything from this continent, if only for where they are made.

Bruno

#525 - 06/04/01 06:08 PM Re: Dive Equipment made in the US..
Hybrid8 Offline
veteran

quote:
Originally posted by Mike:
Hybrid8...spoken like a true Canadian..oui?

What are you talking about, eh?

Bruno

#526 - 06/04/01 07:13 PM Re: Dive Equipment made in the US..
Mike Offline
avid diver

Loc: tampa, florida, usa
I agree wholeheartedly with the sergent. I wonder if too many folks...including the Canadian..<I haven't figured out how to put a happy face up>...could tell the difference between regs blindfolded. They are all, as far as I know, designed to fail positively, that is you should still be able to breath if the thing breaks.
Hybrid, I am an expat Canadian. Let me know if you wanna come down to Florida to do some diving...but the power of the U.S. economy wasn't created by people buying Taiwanese.

#527 - 06/04/01 10:55 PM Re: Dive Equipment made in the US..
SGHOWE Offline
veteran

I never said anything about any company being good simply because they are american, personally I could care less. As far as Poseidon goes there are far better regulators being made now. The apeks regs are very nice in my opinion. I have dove both and can however say that the atomic and higher end Scubapro breathe quite noticably easier than either of them, especially the poseidon. Apeks however is probably third in line for me as far as regs go, which isn't too bad by any strech of the imagination.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BobG, Mel, Reggie