Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5089 - 12/23/00 12:37 AM equalizing ears
dcbaerg Offline
just got here

I have a very difficult time equalizing my ears, even at very shallow depths. Any ideas on how to get past this to enjoy my dives more?

#5090 - 12/23/00 02:47 PM Re: equalizing ears
frog man Offline
veteran

Loc: cancun mx.
try valsalva maneuver even before start diving(on land) to open eustachian canal.It works to me.

#5091 - 12/25/00 10:01 AM Re: equalizing ears
GA Diver Offline
new diver

Loc: Savannah, GA, USA
Try decending feet first and tilt your head back when you equalize your ears. Also equalize your ears frequently, about every three feet.

#5092 - 01/02/01 09:02 AM Re: equalizing ears
rmfleming Offline
new diver

Loc: Lansing, MI
I have a similiar problem. I have had success doing the following: Start practicing the valsalva a few days ahead it helps stretch out the tubes, When you decend go very slowly (use a decent line). Breath very slowly and very controled. Equalize with each and every breath on the way down. Any sign of not clearing, go up until you are comfortable. Important, If you press on even though it is painful, you will injure the tissue in your ear and eustachian tubes. This will cause those tissues to swell, like any other injury sight, this swelling will make your problem worse with each successive dive

#5093 - 01/04/01 03:12 PM Re: equalizing ears
Shark Bait Offline
avid diver

Loc: Arizona
This may sound stupid, but would someone please explain to me what valsalva means?

I to, have ear equalizing problems and I would be interested in anything that would help.

#5094 - 01/06/01 02:55 PM Re: equalizing ears
frog man Offline
veteran

Loc: cancun mx.
valsalva: pinch your nose with fingers and force air to ear through eustachian canal.
Search "scuba diving explained" in YAHOO (is a book) and see the chapter "effects of unequal pressures etc... You will understand much better.

#5095 - 01/10/01 12:47 AM Re: equalizing ears
Shark Bait Offline
avid diver

Loc: Arizona
Thanks frogman

quote:
Originally posted by frog man:
valsalva: pinch your nose with fingers and force air to ear through eustachian canal.
Search "scuba diving explained" in YAHOO (is a book) and see the chapter "effects of unequal pressures etc... You will understand much better.

#5096 - 02/04/01 06:53 PM Re: equalizing ears
Nosediver Offline
new diver

Loc: L.A. Ca.
Fellow problematic equalizers, after years of trouble free diving I begean to have terrible problems with equalizing, often resulting in miserable ear infections. Turns out that my adenoids (like your tonsils, but behind your nose.)were grossly enlarged and were blocking my eustachian tube entrances. Once they were hacked out (by a doctor.) I could dive like a batray out of hell again. Go,no,run to your E.N.T. doctor and ask for a nasal endoscopy and see if you may have the same problem. The procedure was not much fun but well worth the cost and discomfort as not only can I dive again, but my sleep apnea and snoring were eliminated too. check it out.

#5097 - 02/04/01 07:04 PM Re: equalizing ears
Nosediver Offline
new diver

Loc: L.A. Ca.
Fellow problematic equalizers, after years of trouble free diving I begean to have terrible problems with equalizing, often resulting in miserable ear infections. Turns out that my adenoids (like your tonsils, but behind your nose.)were grossly enlarged and were blocking my eustachian tube entrances. Once they were hacked out (by a doctor.) I could dive like a batray out of hell again. Go,no,run to your E.N.T. doctor and ask for a nasal endoscopy and see if you may have the same problem. The procedure was not much fun but well worth the cost and discomfort as not only can I dive again, but my sleep apnea and snoring were eliminated too. check it out.

#5098 - 03/25/01 06:49 PM Re: equalizing ears
SouthJerseyDiver Offline
avid diver

Loc: Hammonton, N.J. , USA
you can , also , try swallowing ocassionally
every few feet or move your jaw from side to
side like your chewing or grinding your teeth
as you are descending or while you have leveled out , as I found these proceedures do
work for me as well , as the other method as
other fellow~divers have mentioned .... keep
trying something will work for you

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BobG, Mel