Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5049 - 10/19/00 05:10 PM That dizzy feeling??
Lee Offline
avid diver

I have been diving for over 15 years. I am rescue certified. Lately I have been feeling a bit dizzy on my dives. Shallow 30-40ft. Usually I just relax breath slowly and it goes away. The last time this happened I was diving Catalina island and got extremely dizzy. I tried to relax but it just got worse real fast. It was like the earth was spinning so fast I was completely lost. I came up right away with my buddy (wife) making sure I was OK. After I got back on the boat it was like I was sea-sick for the rest of the day. (I never get sea-sick) Any ideas why all of a sudden I'm getting these dizzy spells?? Someone suggested I might be hypoglycemic. Would that explain it?

#5050 - 10/29/00 11:23 AM Re: That dizzy feeling??
William Offline
veteran

Loc: Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, US...
Hi Lee - A couple of things. First, check with your doctor. Make sure your doctor understands SCUBA and the maladies associated with diving. Contact DAN to get a list of doctors in your area who understand SCUBA. Second, it sounds like you might have a contaminated tank or air. Did you use your own tank or the boat's tank? Have you had your tank Viz'd recently?

#5051 - 12/25/00 10:09 AM Re: That dizzy feeling??
GA Diver Offline
new diver

Loc: Savannah, GA, USA
I used to work at a marnia in southern GA. I have seen some people who said that they have never gotten sea sick before in their life, and then all of a sudden on one trip get sea sick. I believe it is because of poss having a cold or coming down with a cold or poss not drinking enough water and being slightly dehydrated before going out on a boat. This has hapened to me before also and it was due to being dehydrated.

[This message has been edited by GA Diver (edited 12-25-2000).]

[This message has been edited by GA Diver (edited 12-25-2000).]

#5052 - 01/22/01 03:38 PM Re: That dizzy feeling??
AngelaK Offline
new diver

Loc: Newport Beach, CA
That's very strange. The exact same thing happened to me last weekend while diving off Catalina Island. I never get sea sick and I have never had such horrible vertigo while diving. My depth was the same as yours - about 35 feet. I hadn't eaten before the dive and I ate lunch afterward and was fine the rest of the day so I suppose low blood sugar may have been a factor. I also switched tanks, though, so I can't rule out contaminated air. Has your dizziness improved lately?

quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
I have been diving for over 15 years. I am rescue certified. Lately I have been feeling a bit dizzy on my dives. Shallow 30-40ft. Usually I just relax breath slowly and it goes away. The last time this happened I was diving Catalina island and got extremely dizzy. I tried to relax but it just got worse real fast. It was like the earth was spinning so fast I was completely lost. I came up right away with my buddy (wife) making sure I was OK. After I got back on the boat it was like I was sea-sick for the rest of the day. (I never get sea-sick) Any ideas why all of a sudden I'm getting these dizzy spells?? Someone suggested I might be hypoglycemic. Would that explain it?

#5053 - 03/14/01 10:47 PM Re: That dizzy feeling??
DW Offline
new diver

Loc: Seattle, WA, US
Where did you get your air?

#5054 - 03/18/01 10:39 PM Re: That dizzy feeling??
Deep Blue Offline
avid diver

Loc: west palm beach, florida
It sounds like your a big pussy. For a rescue diver i would think after going through all your certifications you would know how to answer your own question. I would also check your air.

#5055 - 03/19/01 04:05 PM Re: That dizzy feeling??
Toothpickman Offline
veteran

I would check with a DAN certified DR if this is recurring, also the air, but if others in your group are using the same air I would tend to think it may be something else. <in other words check everything>

#5056 - 04/10/01 03:19 PM Re: That dizzy feeling??
mountaindiver Offline
just got here

Loc: Denver, Co USA
It sounds like you may have had an inner-ear imbalance(sp?). I have experienced this a couple of times. Once on land and once doing a dive. Were you getting a signifigant pressure squeeze in your ear? It's not a frequent thing, but scary if it happens to you and your not expecting it.

#5057 - 04/10/01 03:41 PM Re: That dizzy feeling??
Teched Offline
avid diver

Loc: FL
I know I havent been on the board long, but I can tell from the few posts, Deep blue is a moron.

#5058 - 04/12/01 06:57 AM Re: That dizzy feeling??
JASON LEE Offline
avid diver

Loc: orlando
or 12, either one would explane alot

[This message has been edited by JASON LEE (edited 04-12-2001).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BobG, Mel