Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5011 - 01/08/06 12:59 AM Almost happy new year
scubashep Offline
veteran

I finished out the dive year a bit behind what I wanted but still happy with it. I now hold SSI Master Diver, SDI Dive Master, TDI advanced NITROX and just short of TRIMIX & Deco. Hopefully going to start cave/caveern in a couple of months. I have cleared out alot of stuff this year...Nitrox, Advanced Nitrox, Wreck, Boat, Deep, Night/Lmited, Stress/rescue, Navagation, Computer(joke class don't do it just read the manual), and done deco class but not the dives yet. Most likely missed something but that's cool, it's been a dive filled year. I got started in April and still got 56 in before October. The santa wife got me some dive luggage and a dry suit for Xmas but only one of those works. The dry suit is a little differnt and will take some time to get used to. So far it's been in the pool only. I must say that the only risk of injury there is me being upside down to long. It's going to take some time to get used to and maybe a class. I thought it would be a no brainer but someone is not telling all the secrets about the drysuits. It does hoever have some advantages...I get to see the world from a different view(upside down) and I stay nice and toasty warm which is way "cool". If antone would like to share the secret of balance in one of these contraptions rather than me pay for a class , I would be gratefull. I think it is just a time thing but I am way unstable and just everywhere in the water in it so far. However it's fun to feel like a crashing 747. I just tumble along so far. I am sure I will figure it out pretty soon.

#5012 - 01/08/06 04:02 PM Re: Almost happy new year
BrianO Offline
veteran

Loc: Irvine
You may be well served by a pair of ankle weights, a trim weight on your tank or a weight harness seperate from your BC. However, if you look at the etire rest of your bulletin, you have spent a great deal of last year in the water receiving professional training for the environments and equipment you will be using in the future. It is highly recommended that anyone using new or unfamiliar gear take a course taught by a certified and qualified instructor. As a supplement, we offer drysuit videos and materials that will certainly increase your understanding of the fundamentals and refinement of technique.

#5013 - 02/03/06 09:37 PM Re: Almost happy new year
scubashep Offline
veteran

signed up for the dry suit course. I think i have it figured out but figured i would perfect it from the course

#5014 - 02/04/06 07:08 AM Re: Almost happy new year
MuckDiver Offline
new diver

Loc: Minnesota
You aren't alone. I think everyone's first dives in a dry suit are a bit uncomfortable. The buoyancy changes vs. a wetsuit are dramatic.

If you mean tank side down by "upside down", don't try trim weights on the tank. You might try using a weight belt with weights pushed up front.

You really should try out some ankle weights -- here in Minnesota, dry suit diving is a fact of life year 'round, and nearly everyone I dive with uses ankle weights. I have two dry suits, and when I dive with the neoprene one, which takes a lot of extra weight, I wear ankle weights plus gaiters with two pounds of lead on each. The ankle weights are cool -- less weight on your BC or weight belt, and it's less of a heave standing up out of the water when shore diving. Gaiters and ankle weights add a safety factor too, as they help prevent ending up rocketing to the surface feet first because you have a bunch of air trapped in the legs of your suit.

You really should consult with an instructor or read up on using the dry suit. It's hardly rocket science, and for me taking a course was a joke, but there are some details and issues unique to dry suits. You need to practice recovering from a feet first ascent, know how to use the valve, purge the suit before getting into the water, etc. The problem is, most pools aren't really deep enough to be able to practice the inverted ascent recovery. Keep your dives shallow until you're comfortable and have the inflation/deflation well under control -- dry suits definitely add risk of uncontrolled ascent, and you don't want that happening when you're deep enough for DCI to be an issue.

One other thing -- make sure your dry suit inflator hose is a DRY SUIT INFLATOR HOSE with a flow restricting orifice. I'm amazed how many people dive with a BC inflator hose on their drysuit. I've seen instructors do it. If your first stage regulator freezes up and free flows, an inflator hose without a restrictor can easily overrun the dry suit vent's ability to dump air.

#5015 - 02/04/06 03:50 PM Re: Almost happy new year
BrianO Offline
veteran

MuckDiver makes some excellent points. Safety is the biggest concern with the use of dry suits and familiarization with control techniques and weight trim are essential to enjoying your new warmer way of diving. Get used to inflating/deflating the suit at various depths and keep your ascent rate slow enough to vent.

#5016 - 02/14/06 10:17 PM Re: Almost happy new year
scubashep Offline
veteran

course is over...I'm still warm too [Big Grin] .However I felt I was ripped off to an extent. The instructor taught me less than my dive buddy which was doing the course to get tech certified to do cold water welding. I think he had alot more time than my instructor but was more on the technical side of life. Still a good weekend but I think I will go full face mask before I get in water that is that cold again. I was into the LOW 40's and high 30's. Thought that measly bit of hair I call a mustache was going to freeze and fall off before I got out. It was fun in it's own sort of way though.

#5017 - 02/16/06 05:19 PM Re: Almost happy new year
BrianO Offline
veteran

Sounds like you got good info all the way around from the class and your buddy. I think that if we keep our eyes open, we can learn something new wherever we go. As far as the cold water goes, full face is definitely the way to go for warmth and comfort. Coomm units are also a great accessory for team diving and low vis environments.

#5018 - 02/22/06 11:55 PM Re: Almost happy new year
scubashep Offline
veteran

A. I would love a comm unit...would be cool to say hey look at that fish on the left...
B. 50%of the time the wives join us...
C. What's the point of buying one if you can't get a word in due to radio traffic?
D. Something tells me I would like the sound of bubbles better most of the time.
E. I am "restoring" lol use that lightly a 69 Nova. Full tube frame, ladder bar rear, 502 cu in blower motor, etc. That head set cuts into the budget for the car fast!!! I realize blower is $2700 and motor is 6k, but cost of headset starts hurting fast.

#5019 - 02/23/06 09:07 AM Re: Almost happy new year
BrianO Offline
veteran

AAHHHH priorities;

I feel yer pain. Hobbies can do that to a budget. I guess I would be looking at the time-frame for ability to participate in the activity. If the $8,700.00 will put you in the car and the car on the road in the condition you want it in, go for it. On the other hand, if that amount just buys the noisemaker and you're still gonna have to save for seats, suspension, tires and the rest of everything that it's going to take to actually pull it out of the driveway, the cost of comm gear that you can on your very next dive seems like it would offset the scale. It also brings the a new dimension to an activity you are already sharing with your wife.

#5020 - 02/23/06 11:32 PM Re: Almost happy new year
scubashep Offline
veteran

As you guessed the 8700 is just for the "noise maker" of it. Frame is 2k full tube, got to pick up in Arizona, im in SC. Suspension is with frame for front and I have the rear. Roll cage will be picked up in Arkansas when I go to get the frame. I think it's 4-500 or so but not that bad considering its prefit 12 point cage. Other than that it's off to the body shop to get painted. It has been my dream toy since I was a kid. Should be done by this fall/winter if all goes well and I get time. Work cuts into my diving and diving cuts into working on the nova and working on the nova cuts into playing on the 4 wheelers. Until I win the lottery I still have to take up all my time at work.

[ 02-23-2006, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: scubashep ]

#5021 - 02/24/06 06:10 PM Re: Almost happy new year
BrianO Offline
veteran

Sounds like you've got some cool toys. The work thing does seem to pay the bills better than playing. I know when I'm about to blow an O-ring, I hit the water. See you in the water.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BobG, Mel