Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#4981 - 11/08/05 08:28 AM NAUI, PADI, SDI, or TDI
mikelax23 Offline
just got here

Loc: Atlanta GA
I just got certified for SDI and TDI, I was then told that if I go on my vacation or on future trips that NAUI and PADI are the ones that are recognized. Can someone help me with what is true.
It seems hard to find an objective perspective, I would appreciate any comments.

#4982 - 11/13/05 02:12 PM Re: NAUI, PADI, SDI, or TDI
BrianO Offline
veteran

Loc: Irvine
It is true that PADI and NAUI are the two most COMMON certifications around the world, but not the only two recognized agencies. A certification card from just about any agency should be recognized and honored when you travel. Be aware that skill training levels and experience are going to be factored into the kind of diving you will be able to participate in when you travel. Getting involved in advanced levels and rescue training will make you more comfortable in the water and a better buddy overall.

#4983 - 02/20/07 03:18 AM Re: NAUI, PADI, SDI, or TDI [Re: BrianO]
ZodiakDiver Offline
avid diver

I have taken both PADI and NAUI Open Water. The NAUI was much harder. Both are recognized equally though. Some would say PADI is known around the world the most.
MB

#4984 - 03/22/07 05:15 PM Re: NAUI, PADI, SDI, or TDI [Re: ZodiakDiver]
BrianO Offline
veteran

PADI has more facilities and resort operations, but both agencies are equally recognized.
The "harder" class being taught by the NAUI instructor is due to PADIs standardized teaching system whereas NAUI is more flexible in the methodologies used by the individual instructor.

#4985 - 04/05/07 09:04 AM Re: NAUI, PADI, SDI, or TDI [Re: BrianO]
aquamannyc Offline
avid diver

i was certified years ago by ssi (scuba schools international ) for my open water but have PADI for my advanced open water and rescue diver. rule #1 . always get a duplicate c-card. when you travel . when i go i have all 3. always keep one with your passport, but keep your most upgraded card with you. if you loose it you have the others as a backup and then you can call that agency up and get it replaced. you can dive one day on a trip, loose the card overnight and not be able to dive the next day. Many resorts and dive shops are not allowed by their insurance requirements or by law to give you a tank,or allow you to dive with out one even if dove with them the day before. you will be stuck snorkeling, untill your duplicate
c-card arrives. If you dont have a duplicate, xerox it at the dive store/resort when you get their in their shop and tell them to hold on to it untill you trip is over. they do that in the caymans and other places, but remember it is your responsibility to keep your cards safe and your dive insurance updated.

#4986 - 04/13/07 08:38 AM Re: NAUI, PADI, SDI, or TDI [Re: aquamannyc]
BrianO Offline
veteran

Good idea any time you travel. The best way to handle that is to contact the operation you'll be diving with and ask them what they require and what their procedures are. Do this well ahead of your trip so you'll be familiar with their expectations and you'll be ready.

#4987 - 07/18/08 04:31 AM Re: NAUI, PADI, SDI, or TDI [Re: BrianO]
sinkingcoyote Offline
avid diver

So NAUI or PADI? when yall say NAUI is harder is that harder in a good way cause you have to learn more? Or harder in a bad why cause its harder to learn the same things? Please clear this up if you can. Im trying to decide which to take thry are about the same price in the same location.

#4988 - 07/23/08 11:46 AM Re: NAUI, PADI, SDI, or TDI [Re: sinkingcoyote]
BobG Offline
veteran

Loc: Irvine, CA
It's honestly pretty plain and simple. I am or have been an instructor with PADI, NAUI, and TDI/SDI. I now use portions of all the information from each agency in my classes. The biggest thing you as a consumer want to do is find a dive instructor, regardless of the agency, that you get along with and seems like is going to teach you what you want to know and how you want to learn it. The biggest thing I stress on people who ask me is to make CERTAIN the person is somebody you enjoy interacting with in the store and you understand what it is they are conveying to you. The reason is, they don't get friendlier or easier to understand AFTER they have your money and you head to the pool! NAUI classes have a few skills that PADI considers "harrassing" the student. They are FAR from harrassing of anybody and are skills that any diver can and should be able to do. They are certainly nothing to be concerned about when comparing the classes. All agencies teach the entry level scuba diver the same thing. How to safely enjoy the sport. The #1 thing to remember through it all, is the this is supposed to be FUN!

Moderator:  BobG, Mel