Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#4935 - 03/29/04 04:55 PM Open water certified in Jan 2005
marine5831 Offline
new diver

Loc: Artesia, Ca
Hello,

I am a student at a local college. I will be graduating in Dec 2005. As a graduation present for myself, I want to become scuba certified(open water). I plan on taking classes in Jan. of 2005. I would like to know if there is anything that I can do to prepare myself now for the classes in Jan. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

#4936 - 03/30/04 03:07 AM Re: Open water certified in Jan 2005
SPTurner Offline
new diver

Loc: Auburn, Wa.
I was certified four years ago and from my experiance I would have bought my open water coarse book ahead of time so I could really study ahead of time.Not that I had trouble but your life will depend on your knowledge and one should know it like the back of their hand.It will also keep you focused on diving untill you take your course. Start looking at dive gear and comparing,deciding on the equipment and pricing.Do cardio execising, it will help.Good luck.Steve

#4937 - 03/30/04 09:55 AM Re: Open water certified in Jan 2005
BillL Offline
veteran

Loc: So. California, USA
Any of the home study packages for the entry level course will help you prepare. In most cases you can complete all or most of the academics yourself, right at home. You'll need to pick the package for the training you will receive. We have both PADI and NAUI certification kits available on the website under instructional books.

#4938 - 03/30/04 11:29 AM Re: Open water certified in Jan 2005
marine5831 Offline
new diver

Loc: Artesia, Ca
SPTurner and Bill, Thank you very much for the information. I had another question, what is the difference between NAUI and PADI?

#4939 - 04/04/04 04:59 PM Re: Open water certified in Jan 2005
BillL Offline
veteran

Loc: So. California, USA
NAUI is the National Association of Underwater Instructors, PADI is the Professional Association of Diving Instructors. They are the two largest training agencies in the world. NAUI is a not-for profit instructor memebership organization. PADI is a for profit company. Both have excellent home study materials and fine training programs.

Moderator:  BobG, Mel