Please contact our Scuba Diving Instructors by live chat or phone 1-800-34-SCUBA. We are standing by to answer any of your Scuba Diving questions.
Topic Options
#4830 - 05/27/03 07:59 AM Hazards
water Chick Offline
new diver

Loc: Ontario
i am a student doing a Project for science and I was wondering if there are any Hazards to scuba diving such as enviromental hazards and such If Any one can HElp that would be apprcated My Project is due The 10th OF JUNE I NEED HELP! PLEase Thanks WATER CHICk [Mad]

#4831 - 05/27/03 03:57 PM Re: Hazards
DiverD Offline
veteran

Loc: So. Cal.
You may be able to find info on some some dive spots in the south pacific that contain radition from nuclear experiments. I think bikini Attoll may be one.

#4832 - 06/04/03 12:24 AM Re: Hazards
Falcon99 Offline
avid diver

Loc: Oklahoma
Wow. I thought deep cave diving was for the risk takers. Sounds like Bikini Atoll is a new one to add to the list.

I wonder what the signal would be to tell your partner their skeleton is glowing through the wetsuit.

But seriously, there are a few places divers tend to avoid due to pollution, enviromental toxins such as dissolved Hydrogen Sulfide, or even too high a salt concentration (Dead Sea). There is a book on Amazon.com that has a chapter on diving in polluted waters, I just didn't get the title at the time.

Good luck!

James

#4833 - 06/11/03 07:59 AM Re: Hazards
BillL Offline
veteran

Loc: So. California, USA
Luckily most recreational dive destinations do not have hazardous environmental problems. It seems we are more aware these days of keeping our oceans safer and cleaner.

Moderator:  BillL, BobG, Clarke, Mel